We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting There

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,312 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Getting There

I'm assuming from past knowledge that via Papeete is still the only way to fly to the Marquesas? Back in my day of F.P. sojourns it was an 6-8 hour flight on a prop job, has this changed at all? Are there any places that have been established to stay at besides pensions? Would appreciate any info as my brother is thinking about a trip to this mysterious pat of French Polynesia. I alway thought at least in pics that nuku hiva was the mosr dramatic, which island would be best for a first trip there? Thanks, Pub

5 replies to this topic
San Luis Obispo
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting There

yes via PPT only

Prop jobs are the only way but they may be a bit faster now. About 4 hours plus any stops along the way like Rangiora

Edited: 2:38 pm, February 20, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
3,943 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting There

Pub,

There are no international airports as yet in the Marquesas (though Nuku Hiva may be one in the future), so yes, your brother would have to enter FP in PPT, and then fly Air Tahiti to either Nuku Hiva or Hiva Ova. Air Tahiti is showing those flights on an ATR72 aircraft; some are nonstop, and others stop at interim islands along the way.

Depending on his amount of time, he might want to consider splitting his visit between the two islands. There is much to see on Nuku Hiva!

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting There

THe direct flight from Papeete is 3,5 hrs. Or you could suggest doing a cruise on the Aranui which is a mixed cargo going from Papeete to the Marqueses and then doing all the islands in the North and Southern Marquesan groups (Ua Pou, Nuku Hiva, Ua Huka, Hiva Oa, Tahuata and Fatu Hiva. The cruise can also be booked just for the Marguesas part. Great way to see the islands.

Hiva Oa and Nuku Hiva both have a Pearl Resort if you'd want something more luxurious than the pensions. Both islands are good, Hiva Oa has some cultural historical sites with huge Tiki's and the Gauguin stuff althoug the museum has no originals and Jacques Brel souvenirs. Nuku Hiva has huge waterfalls and the famous Taipi valley (as written by Herman Melville)

THe most dramatic peaks are on Ua Pou, huge rocks sticking up in the air... but the island is tiny and less interesting

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
225 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting There

Hi Pub:

haven't "seen" you in a while. I'm envious of your brother's upcoming trip. One of my wish-trips is to take the Aranui around the Marqueses. Just haven't been able to convince the hubby. Someday.....

I see you visiting Fiji. Will pick your brain at a later date. I think that's our next destination. By the way, how long is the flight from West Coast?

Take care and "talk" to you soon,

Linda

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia
Level Contributor
4,813 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting There

Hi Pub

long time no see:) I just took the PGC 14 day Marquesas/Tuamotu/Scoiety Island cruise. If one goes all the way to the Marquesas I would say go see as much as you can and not just one island. Best way is the way Poehere recommends.

Regards BO

Reply to: Getting There
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Hiva Oa
More Hiva Oa Topics