We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nuku Hiva Guide

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nuku Hiva Guide

Does anyone have contact info for Philip Beardmore, he is a Guide on Nuku Hiva.

I would appreciate info on any other guide would offers a private tour for 4 persons.

Not interested in the full day 4X4 tour offered by Claude.

4 replies to this topic
Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
9 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nuku Hiva Guide

My wife and I and two other couples booked the all day tour of the island via Pua Excursions and our guide was Philip Beardmore who drove one 4 x 4 along with another person (name escapes me and who only spoke French) who drove another. After some initial confusion as to how many of us there were and how many trucks we would travel in, we were off to visit the island. Saw all of the major sights e.g. major bays, Notre Dame Cathedral, had lunch at Chez Yvonne [included], village of Hatiheu, Hikokua and Kamuihei [impressive archaeological sites], a copra operation and other sites. Lunch was very tasty as it is one of the best places to eat in the Marquesas. Because only Philip spoke English, those who were in the 2nd truck didn't really get to have any explanation of many things, although we did stop often and they sort of caught up. The standing joke was that right after lunch, those in Philip's truck insisted that they trade because Philip was a "talker." Philip's talks were rather spicy, although there was a lot of material. He was familiar with the Survivor television series that was filmed on the island and he dispelled some assumptions we had about what we had seen. All in all it was a long day with a lot to see. Don't know what you have planned, but we felt that we definitely had "been there and done that." Be prepared to listen to a lot of stories and note that some in the tour felt that they had been somewhat overcharged when we finally settled up (you could pay in either local currency or US dollars which was the preference and by then we were familiar with the going exchange rate). Would I do it with him again? Probably yes considering that there are not a lot of options on this island if you want to see what we did and the lunch was enjoyable. We paid 12500 cfp each which included lunch and driving all over the island so it was much better than the ship excursion, especially for the cost. Note: bring lots of mosquito repellant to use at the archaeological sites as they get fierce and there is a lot of ground to cover and also the area to cover is strewn with slippery boulders .

Tennessee
Destination Expert
for Chattanooga, Blowing Rock, North Carolina Mountains
Level Contributor
7,948 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nuku Hiva Guide

Other options could be:

Jocelyne Henua EnanaTours or Mave Mai Tours.

Henderson, Nevada...
Level Contributor
1 post
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nuku Hiva Guide

Our group had the same experience and unfortunately, my friends and I were stuck in the same vehicle as Phillip. His inappropriate stories were never ending, and he was first in line at the bar when we stopped for our meal (he was no longer driving). We did provide feedback to Claude and hope that he never uses Phillip again.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
83 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Nuku Hiva Guide

We were in Nuku Hiva in April and booked an excursion with Claude Gerard. Philip was still a guide but was MUCH better behaved. Before our trip, I personally forwarded all the negative comments from Cruise Critic & TA to Claude & Pua and I guess they spoke with him. We loved our day and Nuku Hiva is beautiful.

Reply to: Nuku Hiva Guide
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marquesas Islands
Recent Conversations