We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

aranui 3

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
aranui 3

going on the aranui in feb 2012 just wondering if appropriate to bring small gifts for school kids on the islands. the wilsons

mountainviewca
Level Contributor
2 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: aranui 3

Not really appropriate as we did not see children in a school setting, only playing about and there were too many of them. It was never mentioned and I did not see anyone proffer anything. I went in October if you have any more questions and I have a list of stuff I would have found useful which I am going to post soon.

Margaret

2. Re: aranui 3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:02 am, September 10, 2013
Edited: 1:02 am, September 10, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: aranui 3

Thanks Margaret:

We look forward to reading your posting about your October trip.

The Wilsons

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: aranui 3

Dear Pausanias:

Thank you for the information.

The Wilsons

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: aranui 3

Going on Aranui in March. Looking at other posts on what to bring and curious about bug spray. With time on a moving ship does the breeze decrease the need? What type of footwear worked best? This is different than spending most of your time on a beach at a resort. Thanks for your advise.

sosci
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: aranui 3

Ia Orana,

just back DEC 2nd, feel free to Pm Me with any specific questions.

we did bring gift item for the children and I can talk more about hat process and useful items. If you can swing it do yourself a favor and upgrade to biz class on air Tahiti nui well worth the extra expense.

Just a useful tip if anyone doing this trip and you must have a decent cup of coffee BYO grounds and French press, fresh coffee extremely limited.

Cheers

Edmonton, Alberta
Level Contributor
15 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: aranui 3

Dear sosci:

Could you give us some ideas about gifts for the children please and any other suggestions that may apply to the trip. We are actually flying in from Honolulu via Haiwaiian Air. We arrive in Tahiti on Jan 28 and leave on the Aranui on Feb 4 so we get to spend a week on Moorea.

Thanks

Cassiar

sosci
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: aranui 3

dear cassair,

I can tell you what we brought and the justification of these items, then I will add suggested items of. Items I wish I had brought as gifts but did not.

Two things to be mindful of which others have raised , that is the sociocultural values of being self sufficient and not trying to instill in the children a sense of expectancy and entitlement values from arriving tourists., this is frowned upon.

Second, The children love to greet the tourists sometimes with shells and leis and JMHO that they are not expecting a gift in return but are pleased if. Something is given, especially if the item is one they would not normally have access to , something novel for example. A poster on cruise critic wrote that he brought inexpensive kaleidoscopes to the kids which fascinated.

In terms of process you may do a combination of strategies for the giving as we did. I carried a. Very limited amount of items with me at some ports like thick hopscotch chalk and demonstrated and played the game with the children outside their school, it was a Saturday so a moderate group of the had gathered around in the school yard. The experience was delightful. The more organized strategy is to give your bag of gifts to the lady at reception who has connections with school teachers and allow her deliver the items to the teacher for distribution to the kids.

There appeared to be peer pressure by the children on each other when a younger child would exhibit aggressive greedy like behavior, this behavior was easily quelle by a firm request to back off s'il vous plait and they get it.

The items I brought were: chalk, toiletries, baseball, football, Disney for girls trading cards and stickers hairbands, pens, 3m post it notes in colors. I avoided all and any type of candy. Again, the children are by no means under or malnourished, in fact they probably eat a healthier more organic diet than we do LOL! I think you cannot go wrong with novel learning and educational items which they would either not have physical Or financial access to.

Everything imported to the islands are very expensive to the Marquesans .people. Hope this helps! BTW we did carryons only so were a bit limited to the amount of gifts we could bring, all the better coming home though it left room for souvenirs LOL!

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: aranui 3

Wondering if you would post the info on things that you wished that you had brought with you. Getting very excited about our March trip and looking for more info. Thanks!

sosci
Level Contributor
133 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: aranui 3

Insect repellent with DEET, it was sold on board for about US $6.00 though so no big deal.

Get answers to your questions about Marquesas Islands