We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Houston
Level Contributor
355 posts
165 reviews
Save Topic
Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

I Just returned today from a 14 day cruise on the Aranui 3 from Papeete to the Tuamotus and the Marquesas. The Aranui 3 is a freighter/passenger ship that carries about 150-180 passengers with a Polynesian crew, and visits places few people ever get the chance to see. It is not a cheap trip, but no more expensive than modest accommodations and meals if you stay on one of the islands. Shortly I will be posting a trip report, but this trip is one that any adventuresome traveller should put on their list.

13 replies to this topic
Crestline...
Level Contributor
1 post
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Can't wait to hear the details of your trip. This has been on my to do list for years We are scheduled for June 9, 2012.

Houston
Level Contributor
355 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

The following link will take you to the web page I wrote about my cruise. I am working on getting the photos to load faster, but give it some time.

http://captainmcd.com/id38.html

Bora Bora, French...
Level Contributor
967 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Glad you enjoyed! It is indeed very special, and prob not for those wanting the luxury of the Ms Paul Gauguin.

FYI the Tuha'a Pae, a vessel serving the Austral Islands is planning on doing the same kind of cruise for the Austral islands, Rimatara, Rurutu, Tubuai, Raivavae and Rapa, leaving from Papeete. The ship is being build at this time....

Edited: 2:55 am, August 15, 2011
Houston
Level Contributor
355 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Pohere, Thanks for the information. I checked out the Tuhaa Pae II, which is a freighter of 196 ft. in length and is apparently being replaced with a larger Tuhaa Pae III. Tahiti Tourisme's information is confusing on the existing service, which gives prices for one way trips to the islands from Papeete, and although it says it has 9 cabins of 4 berths each, 3 double cabins, and 1 deluxe cabin, plus 44 berths on a coverd deck, it says it has a 12 passenger capacity. Anyway, I will keep an eye on this itinerary.

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Captmcd - thank you for your postings on cruise critic and your excellent trip report - I have reread it several times. We feel so much more informed and excited about our upcoming cruise! B & J

New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

We will be traveleing on the Aranui 3 next july. We have a cabin with a balcony. How cold does it get at night on deck? What kind of jacket should I pack?

Thanks

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Great report, Captain. Very sorry about your wife's mother.

I’d like to take that cruise someday, though I think it would be a bit rough for my wife (maybe also for me, but I'd be willing to risk it for the special travel adventure). The Australs sound interesting, too. Is there anything to the Gambiers?

cleveland, ohio
Level Contributor
96 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

We did not need to wear any jackets or sweaters at all on our cruise that I can recall. Being so close to the equator the weather remained warm and comfortable at night as we enjoyed the evening views of stars, shorelines and the company of amazing fellow cruise passengers. It was the best trip we ever did! B & J

Aranui trip March 2012

New York
Level Contributor
25 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Another question please. We will be traveling on the Aranui next July and were wondering what is best way to go about bringing US dollars. Would travelers checks be best or some cash?Are travelers checks frequently used in Tahiti? Can you exchange money on the Aranui? It seems like we would not need a lot, since most things are included. What is a good amount to bring?

Thanks!

Curacao
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas

Many banks no longer accept travelers checks in French Polynesia. Credit cards are accepted at most businesses. The airport in Papeete has machines to exchange money, but the rates are very unfavorable. I usually exchange money (for PF - Polynesian francs) at my local US bank. before my trip and take extra dollars with me just in case.

Reply to: Aranui 3 Cruise to the Marquesas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Marquesas Islands
Recent Conversations