We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental Car

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mittagong
4 posts
Save Topic
Rental Car

I have just booked a 4 night stay at Mango Bay Resort for myself and 20yo daughter and having read the reviews it seems expensive to go anywhere so am wondering about a rental car as we are keen to get out and explore more than just the beachfront at the resort.

A small car like a Suzuki Swift (which we have at home) will cost just under $340F for the stay which seems very competitive to having to pay up to $100F each way for a taxi and the extra costs that are mentioned to get to and from the resort.

Is it practical to hire a car to get around the Coral Coast?

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental Car

Definately a good idea as you will then have the freedom to check out things for yourself without the added expense of an organised tour. The rate sounds very reasonable, just be aware of wandering stock on the roads, drive to the speed limit and enjoy the scenery on the way - its very scenic lots of photo opportunities along the way.

Mittagong
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental Car

Thanks for the replies.

Not too worried about the livestock as I live outside of Sydney and am used to that kind of thing in fact I had to dodge a group of cows and calves on a pot holed road the other day on the drive to a friends place when I had the horse float and two horses on board.

I have reserved the car and am really looking forward to the chance to get out and about a bit.

Hervey Bay...
Level Contributor
546 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental Car

Sounds like you have already had some practise for driving on fijian roads..lol

Check out the posts by the birchadventures - has lots of good do-it-yourself ideas for the Coral Coast.

Have a great holiday.

Australia
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Rental Car

That's true; the birchadventures gives great advice! Hiring a car is much better than hitch hiking or waiting for a bus or paying for taxis. Mango Bay is quite a way from anywhere, so expect to drive quite a bit. It's around a 40 minute drive to the middle of the Coral Coast, to Korolevu or Korotogo. And around 45 mins to Sigatoka. I'd say it's around 30 minutes to Pacific Harbour. From Pacific Harbour to Suva it's around 30 mins. And from Mango Bay to Nadi, around 2 hours.

Flinders Island...
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rental Car

Can you please tell me what car hire firm you used/

Many thanks

Mittagong
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Rental Car

We are heading to Fiji tomorrow morning and have a car booked with Budget so will let you know how it all went when we get back.

Flinders Island...
Level Contributor
60 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rental Car

Thankyou so much. Enjoy your trip

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rental Car

The following link regarding tailors in Fiji was posted by Bluestreek, a regular poster to this site. However, the tailors mentioned are in Nadi.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g294331-i883-k3103…

Hope this helps.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rental Car

OOOOPS, Posted to the wrong questions!!! Have asked to have it removed. Sorry.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
437 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rental Car

let us know how you go as I have got great deals from Budget to only find that when I got they didnt quote the extra $20 FJD perday compulsarly insurance.

Hope you are enjoying your holiday :-)