We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

shopping

Which Sigatoka hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Topic
shopping

Some one asked about shopping in Sigatoka and it was responded to by saying by from the locals around your hotel. What does that mean? Are there local fruit and handicraft shops set up around there? We like to buy fruit from the local markets and wonder, while staying at the Hidaway, where we will have to go to get some munchies to eat? And if there are local handicrafters, would like to support them. Are they close? Take a taxi or the bus? Thanks

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
376 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: shopping

Just the other day my Fijian workmate had stern words to me about not going to the Sigatoka markets. He says the fruit and veges there are lovely. It's something I REALLY wish I could have fit in.

There are quite a few villages that have tables out the front. Women sit there and sell fruit etc off their properties.

The Hideaway has some local crafts people that make things there at the resort. There are a few other places along the way. Keep your eyes open on your transfer from the airport to the hotel. You'll some places along the way.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: shopping

thanks for the answer, wondering if the transfer person would stop at the store or the fruit market? any idea? or can i walk to a fruit stand from the hideaway...we leave in a week and getting excited...thanks

Melbourne
Level Contributor
300 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: shopping

If your transfer is in a car/taxi from the resort they will definitely stop. if it is with a coach they may not as they will need to drop off others en route. Near Hideaway you'll find Baravi handicrafts which is pretty good for souveniers. also if you do a village visit they have handicrafts to sell. I would definitely try to stop at the supermarket in sigatoka/nadi.

Mount Pocono, PA
Level Contributor
6 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: shopping

The fruit and veggie market is a lot of fun, but DO NOT GO TO THE AREA BEHIND THE FRUIT MARKET!!!. Indian locals will try to lure you in to see their "handicrafts" and "art", but they are very, very high pressure. And if you think you have strong sales resistance, think again. These guys are worse than timeshare sales people. The stuff is ok, but they start off with prices that they eventually can be convinced to sell at 1/5 the original price.

idaho
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,654 posts
439 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: shopping

We had a blast in Sigatoka . We rode the local bus for cents. Bought fruit in the market and bread from HOT BREAD STORE...That place was amazing. Then bought whatever else we needed at the store. We had lunch at RAJ curry house, so good, that we went back the next day!!