We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

Which Nadi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Terrigal
Level Contributor
31 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

Does anyone have advice on how to get an airline to correct a tiny error in the title of a ticket without committing highway robbery with charges for such a correction?

I purchased 7 airfares at once with Fiji Airways online, and found out within a minute of booking that my 4 year old son came up as a "Miss" in his title rather than "Mstr" from a dropdown menu error.

Although the booked flight doesn't depart for 8 months, and I called the airline within 5 minutes of booking when I realised the error, I was told that the fee to correct this minute mistake is a whopping $90 AUD ! This is almost as much as a child's one way airfare !

Reservations was blunt and insisted that unless I emailed them my credit card details along with a copy of my son's passport, no correction would be made. When I gasped at the fee for such a correction, I was told that if it was an adult's ticket, the same error would cost $130.

Any advice out there? How can a tiny error in the era of online booking cost so dearly? After all, by booking online we are saving the airline a heck of a lot of money, so surely when a small error occurs it can work both ways and be corrected without charge.

Any advice on how to fight this outrageous fee would be greatly appreciated.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

I agree that the charge demanded is outrageous. If you e-mail the Consumer Council of Fiji at complaints@consumersfiji.org they will be able to assist you.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

maybe post this on the air travel forum as well

good luck

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
305 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

I just did a quick search about a wrong salutation on tickets on trip advisors air travel forum - the general opinion was to not worry as it doesn't matter. Sorry I don't know how to share the link :(

We also had a middle name problem last year and had no problem

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

After further research I agree with Daydreamer. If you Google up "gender mistake on airline ticket": you will see that it does not matter if such a mistake is made as long as the name on the ticket matches that on the passport.

Edited: 7:24 pm, March 19, 2014
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

It doesn't matter. As long as the names match the passport you won't have a problem the title is not part of your name just a form of address. Have found that if you contact the airline within 24 hours they are generally accommodating I guess it depends on who is on the end of the 'phone always wise to ask to speak to the supervisor if you get no satisfaction. I would leave it as it is.

Bathurst, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Viti Levu, Treasure Island, Sonaisali Island, Nadi
Level Contributor
1,524 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

Yes name must be as is shown on the passport and no salutations are put on passports you should be fine. Try not to worry too much! Happy Travels!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

I've just come across this feed and thought I'd better check my ticket tho we are not heading to Fiji this year I am off to Phuket but noticed the same error on my ticket I put mrs instead of ms as I am married but still have my maiden name which my passport and tickets both have the correct name boy I thought oh no what a costly mistake I've made how ever I double checked my passport and it dosent state if I am a mrs or ms so I think I'll be forgetting about it and hoping for the best that it's not questioned upon check in. If I didn't have to put an option when booking I wouldn't bother as I am not fussy call me whatever haha

8. Re: Help - Huge Fiji Airways Fee to change tiny ticketing error

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, March 22, 2015