We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Danger

Brisbane
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Danger

I would like to give you two tips about Fiji.

1) Never put any valuable inside the bag that you give at the airport.

Time and time again when you get at Nadi airport you may well find that your bag has been open and your valuable stolen.

The authorities say that they will do something about but nothing really happen and people keep on getting their valuable stolen.

I know this because having married a lady from Fiji i have many friend and relatives that go to Fiji all the time.

2) I had my nephew who came to see me in Brisbane from Italy and later we book a sea plane (from Nadi to one island) the day before he and wife were due to Nadi airport.

When they got there the lady in the office told them that the plane was not available anymore but she could arrange for a boat trip to the island.

She asked them to pay a huge amount of money and then she took them to a small boat where two big Fiji man were waiting.

Once on the way these man started asking money for the petrol and they show my nephew and wife that if they don't pay there would be trouble.

My nephew explained to them that they already paid for everything but these two guy kept on threaten.

At the end they got there but they really feel that they could end up in the water.

Absolutely disgusting and when you report these things to the authorities they only say that they will do something and that we should have the insurance.

If my wife wouldn't have to go to Fiji time by time i would not ever go there.

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Danger

Goodness me, what a terrible experience. Do you know the name of the air plane company that did this? Can't say I've ever heard similar reports of this type of problem in Fiji before. Which island were you travelling to? Was it their official transfer? Did you book through a travel agent that you could also report this to?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Danger

Talking about my nephew bad experience it happened about a year ago.

They went to some resort in the Yasawa island.

No they didn't book through any travel agent.

We look on the net for a seaplane that go to the Yasawa from Nadi and from here (Brisbane) we did the booking.

I wouldn't remember which seaplane company was.

Could well be that this company was a fake with a fake office at Nadi airport in order to rip people off.

God knows!

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,039 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Danger

Hmmm - well I really don't see how you can make such generalisations about the whole country based on this experience about which you have no specific details or even first hand experience........