We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island escape

Which Nadi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Island escape

Hello lovely travellers!

So I've read a few of these forums and you are all very knowledgable with your advice.

So I'd like to ask, what do you recommend for 2 couples, no kids. 1 couple 2nd trip, other couple usually Thailand travellers. Beach location, island, 5 nights, some surf nearby. Budget up to $300 a night in June this year. Nice food. Ages are 40-ish for all travellers. Something semi boutique. Have so far considered navutu stars and botaira. Likuliku is out of the budget!

Would also love to snorkel from the beach. And spa stuff for the girls.

What are your tips?

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Island escape

Surf no, Fiji is lagoons and coral reefs surrounding the islands. Surf breaks

Tavarua and Namotu are on the outer reefs are islands with resorts on the outer reef. Botaira is basic Built by local villagers it is Fijian owned and run, a Fijian experience. Wonderful location and great reef for snorkeling and the chance to snorkel with Manta Rays between May and October. Spacious bures are basic but adequate, ensuites but showers can be erratic. Simple food plentiful and good, not much choice, staff amazing people. Navutu Stars much more upmarket. Read the reviews on this site for both resorts for an informed decision.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,656 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Island escape

further to previous post, Navini is worth a look. Even though children are welcome it is rare to come across them and even then it is so private they are not an issue. They quote in Fijian dollars and the tariff includes many inclusions. The versitile bures have the opportunity for couples to share the villa with own rooms and ensuites. Very good food. Check the website for more details and inclusions and the reviews on this site.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Island escape

No surf trips from the resorts in the Yasawas that I know of.

Have stayed at Navutu Stars and loved it. Food was some of the best I've had in Fiji, including fresh seafood bought daily from local fishermen. Bures are spacious and very comfortable, wonderful staff who are happy to help in anyway they can. Quiet and relaxing at Navutu Stars, but plenty to do if you want, including village trips, snorkelling, and trips up to the blue lagoon beach and Sawa-I-Lau Caves. In my opinion Botaira and Navutu are like cheese and chalk, very different. Navutu may be over your budget per night though.

If you want to be close to the reef surf breaks you could also try Musket Cove Resort on Malolo Lailai island in the Mamanuca group of islands, they can usually organise a trip out to the surf breaks. But remember the surfers would need to have a good level of experience.

This site is quite helpful and describes the breaks and the levels of experience required

www.globalsurfers.com/country_details.cfm…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
285 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Island escape

Cloudbreak is the most famous surfing location in Fiji.

People wanting to access this surf break tend to stay at Namotu Island Resort.

I cannot comment on the resort itself as I have not stayed there.

You may wish to do some web searching to see if it interests you and then post specific questions about this resort if it does,

Happy travels!

Mackay, Australia
Level Contributor
34 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Island escape

Thanks for the tips everyone! I think navutu stars is for us!

6. Re: Island escape

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, January 22, 2014