We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Which Nadi hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Grass Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

My husband and son are switching planes in Nadi -- arriving from LAX and heading off to New Zealand. They have four hours at the airport in Fiji and we are wondering if they would have the time, and ability, to get to a beach for a swim. Does anyone know if there is an easily-accessible beach near the airport, and would this be a good idea? -- thx.

Tea Gardens...
Destination Expert
for Mana Island
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

I don't think this is a wise idea You would normally wait in the Transit Lounge. If you could leave the airport you would have to go through Customs and Immigration going out and getting back in. This could take some time. Unless your luggage is booked through to New Zealand you would have to find something to do with it.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

And apart from what manaregular says - there are no decent beaches nearby anyway. You could get to one with a 20 minute taxi ride - but mainland beaches are dark sand, murky water, and unless the tide was really high you'd have to walk out some way to get anywhere near waist-deep.

If they are on the plane that gets in around 5am - too dark anyway to make the effort!

If it was possible to have luggage booked through so they don't have to uplift it - the best thing they could do is go across the road from the airport gates and go to Raffles Gateway Hotel - they have a good big pool and would let them use it.

Grass Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Their luggage is indeed booked through, so that won't be a problem. We were under the impression that the Nadi airport is really small, and it'd be easy to get out and back in. Is this not true?

TaiMarilyn, are you sure that the Raffles Hotel would let them in?

Thanks for the replies!

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

I guess it depends what your point of reference is! Nadi is much smaller than Auckland Airport - I guess that's where they are headed in NZ? But if you look at http://www.airportsfiji.com it will give you an idea.

If they have several planes arriving at once it is sometimes slow to get through Immigration - but if they are on that early plane that shouldn't be too much of a problem. Tell them to try to get near the front of the queue! Raffles is only a 5 minute walk - straight out the end of the concourse and down the entrance road and you are there.

We have often gone in to Raffles when not staying there (although we do stay there regularly). There is a coffee shop which is semi-outdoors just past reception and they could get breakfast - or lunch - or just coffee there. At times we have gone in and asked to use the pool - they have given us towels and we could use the showers in the changing room by the pool. There may be a small charge for that - why not try an email - although they are notoriously slow at answering emails. I'm reasonably confident they could just go in.

Edited: 2:57 pm, September 18, 2012
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,753 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Think you will find they will have to stay in the transit lounge. Check in is 3 hours prior so hardly worth the hassle.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Yasawa Islands
Level Contributor
2,024 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Check-in for NZ has always been 2 hours in the past - and my tickets for October say 90 minutes.

Edited: 9:59 pm, September 18, 2012
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,789 posts
240 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Hi

There is also the security problem. If the baggage is booked straight through I think you'd have to stay in transit anyway.

Otherwise, if you enter the country you'd have to clear customs and immigration and take your bags with you. Then you'd have to check in again with your bags and go through security etc.

Grass Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

AirPacific's website does say they require a check-in 3 hours ahead of time, but then it says that international flights close an hour ahead. Sounds like there is some wriggle room, but I will call to check.

Assuming my hubby and son have the time, they will be off to Raffles for some food and some swimming!

Thanks to you both for your help.

Oakville, Canada
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Hi I am travelling from Australia to Los Angeles and I change airplain in Nadi. I have 6 hours waiting in Nadi, does anybody knows if I would have time to go to a nice beach for swimming? I dont want to go to a swimming pool, I would like to go to the ocean.

Jenny did your son and your husband had the time to go to the pool when they went to Nadi? it was enough time to go through customs?

Thanks

Diana

Grass Valley, Ca
Level Contributor
12 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Closest beach to Nadi Airport?

Hi Diana,

My husband says that IF you have only carry-on luggage and IF you're one of the first people off the plane and IF you have no kids with you, you should definitely go for the beach! He says the line getting into the transit lounge is much longer than the line going into Fiji. It is often raining there, so the weather will need to cooperate. Apparently there is a hotel on the beach, and you could get there via the hotel. Make sure you're back in time for customs. They move slowly there.

My hubby and son ended up staying in the transit lounge. They paid $18 there for a burger, so beware of that, too!

Good luck.

Jenny