We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vuda point general store

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
Vuda point general store

We are off to Navini Island at the end of the month and are looking to pick up a few supplies before getting the launch out to Navini. We have no chance to go to town before we head from the airport to Vuda Point, so I was wondering how well stocked the general store at Vuda is? Also does it stay open around lunch time (we will be there about 1 PM).

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vuda point general store

Hi

We used to go there every day when we stayed at First Landing Resort.

We only bought newspapers and bottled water but my impression is that it resembled a well-stocked dairy. It always seemed to be busy as it caters for all the yachties in the marina. It did stock wine and beer.

Sorry - don't know about lunch time.

Hope this helps a little.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,873 posts
259 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vuda point general store

Hi again

This link shows the opening hours of the store, but doesn't mention lunchtime. You could email the marina to be absolutely sure.

http://www.vudamarina.com.fj/facilities.php

New South Wales...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, New South Wales, Australian Capital Territory
Level Contributor
4,048 posts
260 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Vuda point general store

It has limited supplies - what were you after? You will find you are VERY well fed at Navini and alcohol prices are reasonable. Depending on what it is you are wanting to buy, you may be better off getting them at the duty free stores in the airport. Navini has quite a well stocked store at reasonable prices (again, depending what you want but they have all the "essentials" people might run out of or forget).

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,974 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Vuda point general store

When Henry drops you off a Vuda Point you are put straight on the boat so really not anytime for shopping though I guess if you asked they would wait. Other than ice creams we have never bought anything at Vuda Point store (when staying at First Landing) we did not find it very well stocked. As mentioned you will not go hungry at Navini. What do you want to take? Navini has quite a range of toiletries, sunscreens, first aid and a few 'nibbles'. We sometimes take some duty free alcohol for a pre dinner drink or night cap especially if we are traveling with friends.

Navini is about the only resort we don't take 'nibbles' to. We are never hungry and you can usually get a homemade ice cream cone at the bar.

Breakfast is from 8-9am, lunch from1-2pm and most guests convene at 7pm

for a pre dinner drink in the bar/dining area, followed by dinner at 7.30pm

I'm sure you will have a wonderful holiday at Navini we are going back in May.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
221 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Vuda point general store

Thanks for the replies. We've been to Navini before, but that was when our boys were small and not big eaters. Fast forward six years and they are much bigger eaters. I remember the meals as being good and filling it's just the space in-between that I am looking at filling. So really It is just snacks I am after.

I remember there were peanuts and pringles in the rooms but options of other things is what I am after. I am not too keen to fly in with too much by way of food. For one reason, it takes up space in our bags. However if it has the same sort of stock as a dairy, I am sure we will be fine.

Hooked on, my memories of the transfer are the same as you describe, out of Henry's car, onto the boat and off. Hopefully we will be able to make a dash in. Again, thanks for the feedback.

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
1,492 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Vuda point general store

There should be no problems with making a dash into the dairy. A few months ago, we asked Henry if we could, and he was fine with it. I can't remember the exact time, but it would have been early afternoon.

In our opinion, the store wasn't particularly well stocked and quite expensive.

All we ended up buying was some drinks (cola, tonic water, Just Juice and bottled water).

The cola was awful. They didn't have coca cola, just one of those cheap, sugary brands that goes flat really quickly. For our next trip, we'll either see what they stock at the airport, or buy from the resorts mini-bar (which was reasonably priced).

As you know, the water at the resort is safe to drink. But we were grateful for the bottled water on morning excursions. But again, we could have bought that from the airport.

As for snacks, we made room in our suitcases for 3 packets of biscuits and just declared them once we arrived in Fiji. Over 9 days, between 3 adults and one child, we didn't finish the biscuits. The meals were always so large.

Lastly, just a quick tip. Buy any magazines you might want, in NZ before you leave. I almost had a small heart attack when I saw what they try to charge for magazines in the Fiji airport.

7. Re: Vuda point general store

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, June 18, 2013