We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fiji wedding in December

Melaka, Malaysia
10 posts
Save Topic
Fiji wedding in December

We are looking at getting married in Fiji in either September or December, 2012. December suits us better, however I am wondering about the weather at that time. Will it be really rainy/cloudy? Also, can anyone recommend a beautiful venue on either the mainland or islands? We have been looking at the Sheraton in Denarau or the Shangri-La Resort on the Coral Coast but are open to any suggestions!! Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fiji wedding in December

What's your budget ?

How many guests at the wedding?

Will there be children at the wedding or only adults?

December is getting into cyclone season in Fiji, so there is generally more rain. Dec through to about March are the "wetter" seasons in Fiji.

September would be great. Sep through to early December is when I generally travel there. Towards December there is a higher chance of rain, but the weather around Sep is generally really nice.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fiji wedding in December

Just remember December will be a busy month, with many families travelling to Fiji at that time.

IMO I'd opt for an island wedding at an adults only resort, or one which doesn't attract lots of families with young children.

Both the Sheraton and Shangri-La will have many children, if you don't mind that, keep in mind that the beaches at Denarau are not clear blue water nor white sandy beaches. It's really not an island at all.

Budget is a big factor in knowing what to recommend. Can you let us know please?

LTB

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
186 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fiji wedding in December

The chapel on Treasure island is gorgeous and straight on the beachfront :)

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fiji wedding in December

We got married last week on Denerau. The weather was great but the previous days were wet. The sheraton/Westin has a chapel, as does the Sofitel. The Raddison has an ocean deck, which is where we had our blessing. We had our reception inside the Ocean front restaurant at the Wyndam which is next to the Raddison just in case it rained.

Look to go through a wedding company, we used Paradise Bride Fiji who turned out to be excellent, ask for Pooja.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,898 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fiji wedding in December

Traditionally the islands are drier than the mainland/Denarau. I too would opt for an adults only resort like Matmanoa, Tokoriki (does get a few children at certain times of the year, but lovely wedding location on the beach or in the beautiful chapel). If you chose Tokoriki then any guests with children or those wanting a cheaper option could stay at Amanuca resort just around the point. The islands have the beautiful postcard white sands, swaying palms and aqua lagoons. Hope all works out wellwith your plans and congratulations.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fiji wedding in December

To clarify the above, Tokoriki doesn't allow "children" per se. It allows persons of 12 years old or older.

I stayed there for 7 days and only saw one girl around 16 who came across from Amunuca for dinner with her mum one night.

I highly doubt you would get parents with children or teens there however as that is not it's target audience. Honeymoooners and adults only is it's target.

Not to mention the bedding situation wouldn't really suit anything apart from parents/couples.

The chapel at Tokoriki is beautiful and the helipad is just outside it, incase the bride wants to arrive by helicopter :)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fiji wedding in December

Forgot to mention book soon as I know Tokoriki is already "on request" for September/October/November 2012.

Brisbane Q
Level Contributor
6 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fiji wedding in December

We too have JUST got married on Denarau in Fiji. we have been home just 1 week and the weather was fabulous. We went over on 1st Dec and never saw any rain until 11 Dec. And this was only light nuisance rain in the afternoon.

But, like anywhere, nature can be kind or cruel and who knows what the wet Season will be doing NEXT December. I know of friend who had 10 days of rain whilst on Denarau one September so..........who knows. Re the wedding.......we were contacted but could not afford the wedding planner whose starting price seemed to start at $3000 Fj which included $1000 Fj for photos. We know of the chapels behind some resorts on Denarau as we have been there before but we wanted to get married in bare feet under a bure in sarongs..........and that is what we did. It was at 6pm and we then walked across and ate on the new seafront deck in front of the Seafront Restaurant at Wyndham. It was wonderfully simple and the staff were very kind and helpful. RE huge numbers of families there then..........not true this year for the 1st fortnight of December but maybe they are there now?? As mentioned by other reviewers here..............what do you want, how much can you spend and where do you really want to be on this beautiful occasion. We were limited to a very strict budget and still had a wonderful wedding and photos taken by fellow tourists and just emailed to us ......for Xmas!! Enjoy yours!!

9. Re: Fiji wedding in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, December 24, 2012