We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

villas v hotels

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
38 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
villas v hotels

We are visitng Fiji in October and are not really keen a the larger hotels.We have narrowed down to deveral places and wondered if anybody had been to any of them and had any comments. They are - First Landing Beach, Bedarra Inn and Malaqereqere Villas?

We are worried we may be in the middle of nowhere and unable to visit different restaurants?

Australia
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: villas v hotels

I would highly recommend first landing resort out of all of the 3 you have mentioned. It is small and has a 'resort feel' but it is still on the mainland so you won't get bored. First Landing is about 20 mins from Nadi or 10mins from Lautoka by taxi, and there are great attractions nearby (garden of the sleeping giant is nice and is closeby). The beachfront is also excellent for a mainland hotel, and the food there is apparently excellent (I haven't eaten there, but a friend of mine has and said the seafood selection is fantastic). I have seen Bedarra and it's a 'nice' hotel, but has not much to offer in terms of activities and facilities, and the rooms are very basic. I haven't stayed at Malaqereqere villas but have passed the sign on the main road along the coast, and they are pretty much in the middle of nowhere!

Fiji
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: villas v hotels

For a greater choice of restaurants, First Landing would be your best option. Aside from having facilities on site it's mid-way between Lautoka City and Nadi Town, which offer markets and shops and these areas have several activities and facilities you can enjoy.

Bedarra & Malaqereqere are both lovely properties overlooking the water, but there aren't many activities within the area, unless you visit the larger properties, Outrigger Hotel or The Fijian which are within a 5 minute drive of them respectively.

Auckland, NZ
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: villas v hotels

I also have no stayed at Bedarra Inn, but I have visited there a few years ago for drinks and dinner, it looked OK to me, I don���t know about the activates, the beach is not that ���flash���, and its across a quiet road, the pool looks nice, and the staff were friendly, there are a number of restaurants within a few minutes walk of there, and if you have a car, there are quite a few local restaurants in the town ��� about 10min drive from there. I have been to the coral coast many times over the years, and about the best time to visit for the weather and temperature ��� not too hot, and the sea is warm is in October ��� November (just starting to heat up). I would not call any part of Fiji a marvellous culinary experience, just be careful that you don���t get your hopes up too high. If you are after a real local experience ��� then go for it (by local I DO NOT mean Delhi belly, havent got sick there in years, even then I knew I should not have eaten it)

Surrey,Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: villas v hotels

I am just about to send my parents to the Bedarra Inn in November. I havn't booked it yet but am about to. How is the beach? Has anyone seen it? Is it rocky or is it nice sand/nice water? Any info on the hotel itself or the beach would be great!

Surrey,Canada
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: villas v hotels

I am about to send my parents to the Bedarra Inn. Has anyone seen the beach? Is it rocky? Does anyone know any info on the hotel or the beach? I would love some more information. I can't seem to find alot on the web.

Level Contributor
595 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: villas v hotels

If the Bedarra Inn is the one on the Coral Coast, I have just been up by there. It's not a great swimming beach, lots of coral and rocky. I am not sure if there is even a pool at that hotel. That being said, the area is nice. It's near the Outrigger on the Lagoon and several other restaurants nearby (Le Cafe, Ice House and of course, all the restaurants at the Outrigger). If you are looking for a good swimming beach, I would recommend finding something in the Yasawas. Just lovely beaches out there.