We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and toddler

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
Weather and toddler

Hello, We are headed to Fiji this Saturday 8 October for 10 days and the forecast is saying rain rain rain! We will be at the Sofitel Denarau for two nights then Castaway Island for six nights, followed by the Hilton Denarau at the end. Any advice on what to do with a 2.5 year old in those resorts if it rains all the time? Or is the rain not constant?

One last question: Can anyone tell me of their experience with the babysitters at the above places?

Thanks so much!

sally

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Weather and toddler

There will be less rain at Castaway than the Mainland and you will probably only get the odd shower anyway. Fijian's are wonderful with children, your little one will love them. there are plenty of activities on offer and even if it is raining it will still be warm enough to swim.

I am sure you will have a wonderful holiday!

Tracy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
9 reviews
2. Re: Weather and toddler

It's unlikely to rain all day and even so it is still warm enough to swim. It rained for a few days during our last trip to Fiji. There was only one day whilst at Castaway where the rain was so heavy that we actually had to stay inside. Thank goodness for our portable dvd player it kept our daughters who are 4yo and 2yo well amused. They also went to the kids club and had their faces painted and played inside with the toys. Even on that day we still had all morning at the beach before it rained and then by the following afternoon they were in the pool.

Whilst on the mainland you can catch the Bula bus to the marina or to other resorts to have a look around. I wouldn't worry too much you will still have a great time

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Weather and toddler

Thanks so much for your advice!

I have a few more questions:

Should I take beach towels to the Sofitel and Castaway?

Is there much fruit available at Castaway? And did you pack much food from home for your children?

How much FJD would you advise taking to Fiji?

Sorry about all the questions - I really appreciate your help!

sally

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
9 reviews
4. Re: Weather and toddler

No you don't need beach towels they are readily available at both resorts.

There is plenty of fruit available at Castaway, watermelon, rockmelon, bananas, oranges, passionfuit, paw paw etc. The food is really good by Fijian standards and the kids have a huge selection at their meal times. At breakfast I would always make up a vegemite sandwiches for my girls to have as a morning snack as well as some yoghurt or cake. So take some plastic containers with you or plenty of snap lock bags. I would also fill up cups with milk at breakfast time and put it in the fridge as my girls still have a cup of milk before bed and they don't have milk to drink (unless you order it at extra cost) at lunch and dinner sittings.

I usually take a packet of milk arrowroots, mini sultana packets, packet of cruskits or grissini sticks, and whatever I have for the plane like yoghurt pouches and drinks for taking off and landing. You can stock up at the Marina before going to Castaway on basic items if need be.

Last trip we converted S$300AUD and I still have $20FJD in my wallet.

You will love Castaway, we are planning our 3rd trip and our daughters just love Fiji. Our 4yo tells me everyday how much she misses Castaway and she has done since her first trip there when she had just turned 3. Our 2yo who doesn't talk alot constantly say "vinaka" and "bula" and they both talk about their Fijian babysitter who they love.

Melbourne, Australia
3 posts
1 review
5. Re: Weather and toddler

Thanks very much for that fabulous advice, Puggyint. You're a great help!

sally

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
126 posts
117 reviews
6. Re: Weather and toddler

HI Sally,

We are also going to Castaway, arriving on 11th for 7 nights and then also going to the Hilton. I have 2 and 4 yr old girls, so maybe our kids can keep each other entertained!!! I was also horrified to learn of the forecast of rain, rain and rain, so I am relieved to here from the above posters that it's not so bad at Castaway. See you there!!

7. Re: Weather and toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 pm, October 25, 2012