We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question for Elletia

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Question for Elletia

Hi

I remember reading a post a couple of months ago about your planned wedding for October. Just wanted to know how you got on and in particular what documents you ended up needed to get your marriage license. I'm wondering if we actually need to get a statutory declaration of our single status given that there's differing views from alternative sources on this particular point.

Thanks

Julianna

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question for Elletia

Hi Julianna, yes I'm now a mrs, it was all very easy, the resort organised transport for us into Sigatoka to the registary where we showed our birth certificates ( original or a certified copy) and that was it. I think you only need a statutory declaration if one of you have been married before or widowed. Hope this helps and best wishes.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question for Elletia

And your passports, forgot about them. I think I've read one of your posts regarding Musket cove? We went there on an island hopping tour. It looked very nice and the walk to the $3 bar was fun as you see all the yachts moored, very interesting people, we got talking to a couple who came from California, they sold everything they owned and had been sailing for 10 years.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question for Elletia

Elletia

Thanks for the quick reply. Congrats on your wedding. We both haven't been married before so we might just do without the stat dec. The resort doesn't organise the marriage license for us, so that something we have to do before we get to the island.

Yep, we are going to Musket Cove, glad to hear that you thought that it looked good.

Did you have a photographer for your wedding? We have a package where we get 36 prints and negatives but I'm not sure if they send them or if we get them before we leave fiji.

Also I read on another post that the marriage certificate may take awhile to receive after the wedding. What's been your experience/

Thanks

Julianna

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question for Elletia

Hi Julianna, we originally did not get a photographer in our wedding package. One month before we left I emailed the resort asking about photographers and they hired a lovely polish girl who lives at the Warwick resort with her husband who is a chef there. She took plenty of photo's heaps actually, she then put about 36 into a very lovely album for us then put the rest onto a disc for us to keep and print at home. We picked the photo's up from the wedding co-ordinator about 2 days after the wedding. We were given a piece of paper that 2 witnesses (my sister and her husband) had signed at the end of the ceremony by the minister. Still have not received anything else but I'm sure they told us they will post another one out to us. Yes Musket cove looked beautiful,you have chosen well to get married on an island, the water is just so much more beautiful, pools just don't do any thing for me its all about the ocean. The tide had not gone out from what we could tell at musket and we were there at about 11am to 12pm but they did tell us nothing was there at all when tide is out, don't let that worry you though just enjoy it.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question for Elletia

Thanks ellietia - your comments about the photgrapher and stat dec. were helpful. We've decided to do up a stat dec and get it signed by someone at my work who's a JP just in case we do end up needing one.

Just trying to cover all bases, I feel like I'm forgetting to do something. But I guess everyone starts getting that feeling when their wedding starts getting closer.

Aruba, Snt Nichols
Level Contributor
188 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question for Elletia

Ellietia,

Out of curiosity, was the guy called Jack? The one who sold his house for a yacht.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question for Elletia

Hi sorry I forget his name all I know was he and his wife were from California and he'd had enough of working so they sold everything they owned and bought the yacht, they were at Musket Cove waiting for the cyclone out at sea to pass so they could sail to Australia, they had sailed through some pass where they did not see another boat, plane for 1 month, wife said they both were scared at that stage. Very interesing people once you start talking to them.

Australia
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question for Elletia

Hi Julianna, just a quick note to say our marriage certificate arrived yesterday in the mail. So about a month and a half it took.

9. Re: Question for Elletia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:24 am, August 19, 2009