We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Celebrations in Fiji - Where to go?

Sydney, Australia
1 post
Save Topic
Easter Celebrations in Fiji - Where to go?

I'm spending some time in Fiji over the Easter break and I want to experience some of the religious festivals going on in the country. Do Fijians do anything special over Easter?

I heard that there is a ritual where they float a cross between some islands but I don't know where this event is happening.

That said, I'm up to experience any cultural Easter event in Fiji be it a parade, stations of the cross or a resort doing something different. If anyone has any recommendations on where to go, I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
394 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Easter Celebrations in Fiji - Where to go?

There is a very special Easter event of carrying the cross (not sure of the correct name of the event), which is done every year during Easter... The marathon takes about a week & goes for over 200km, it starts in Suva & ends on Easter Sunday in Nadi... Basically it starts in Suva & the cross is transferred from village to village along Queens Rd until it reaches Nadi... One person per village is the designated cross bearer (to be that person is a huge privilege & the cross they carry is massive) and everyone else from that village (amongst others) will follow behind the cross bearer until they reach the next village & hand the cross over... The next village then does the same thing & so on... There are police controlling traffic along the entire way as there is a huge crowd of people doing the walk (anyone can join in on the walk at any point, however only one special person per village can be the cross bearer)... I was stuck in traffic behind the walk during Easter last year & although I don't have a religious bone in my body, it was amazing to watch, there was such a mass crowd of walkers!! I'm not sure what day it starts, but if you are interested to see it or take part, I'm sure the locals could tell you the route & timeline... Fiji is a very religious country, so I'm sure there will be plenty of other festivals, masses & events on... Have fun!

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
1,999 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Easter Celebrations in Fiji - Where to go?

The procession that Vanessa is talking about is happening right now - today (Tuesday) at lunchtime the cross and bearers were at Komave Village (Coral Coast) for lunch (a late lunch) and then carries on reaching Nadi eventually later this week.

3. Re: Easter Celebrations in Fiji - Where to go?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 17, 2015