We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Floods

Australia
13 posts
Save Topic
Floods

Hi, we are going to Fiji this coming Thursday 6th Feb,, and staying at The Hideaway Resort. Internet says Aussies are being brought home? And that there is limited food and water? I've rung the Travel company I booked through and asked if I wanted to cancel, but I just wanted to know should I? Also what sort of things should I take to give out, thanks , Sue

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Floods

Aussies are being brought home? SmartTraveller indicates all is good.

If you are talking about the Fiji government relocating families due to flooding, this is due to their communities bein on the shoreline, and concern about rising sea levels combining with localised flooding in those areas).

If you are talking about flooding of late in Fiji, all evac centres have been closed and people returning to normal operation from what I've heard.

fijilive.com/news/…56446.Fijilive

Check the normal news sites for more information:

http://www.fijitimes.com/

http://www.fijisun.com.fj/

http://fijilive.com/

Dunedin
Destination Expert
for Mana Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Floods

The statement about Aussies being brought home? Absolute rubbish! I think you must be looking at some news items from the 2012 floods. Where did you see these statements on the Internet? NO international flights were cancelled (some were a little delayed arriving or departing, but only for a day) some domestic flights were cancelled for a day. Yes, there has been some recent heavy ain and flooding but most things seem to be back to 'normal' now - all roads are open, shops/businesses are all open, schools have re-opened, public transport back running. You may see a little damage to the roadsides, some low lying villages or fields and some off the main road bridges may need some repairs. As far as I know from the Ministry of Fiji Information ONE village (Semo) near Sigatoka is going to be relocated asap. This was marked to be shifted anyway, and the Government has agreed to fast track the process. You will be travelling on the Queens Road, Nadi-Hideaway and will probably not notice anything untoward.

Statements regarding 'limited food and water. are alarming. I have just checked this morning with several ex-pat friends living in Fiji, and there are no shortages of food and water whatsoever. Granted there maybe some families finding it a little difficult in their villages, due to houses being flooded, but Fijians are very resilient and all work together and help each other. Any 'cotton' clothes for children are always very welcome, as is toothbrushes, books about your country etc. Elsewhere on the forum are lists of what is suitable to take to Fiji.

Definitely do not cancel your trip - the sun is now out, and you'll have a wonderfull time at Hideaway.

I am leaving for Fiji again tomorrow morning.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,563 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Floods

Reading glasses (non prescription) crayons, pencil sharpers, erasers, pens, pencils, and other school supplies.. For other suggestions of what to take with you:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-c134773/Fiji:…

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,163 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Floods

Stop worrying you shouldn't be affected at all. Go and enjoy.

Australia
13 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Floods

Thank you to all for your posts. First time to Fiji as you can tell...Yes we are sure we will have a great Holiday.

6. Re: Floods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, February 05, 2015