We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Health and Safety for family members

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Health and Safety for family members

I know how much we all look forward to our holiday's in Fiji. A lot goes into saving and planning the trip and I know that nobody ever wants to cancel or postpone their holidays.

I am concerned about people travelling with small children after severe flooding. The health concerns with sanitation and food that has been contaminated.

These floods are serious and although the resorts maybe free from the flood water, the roads to these resorts are flooded. Will the resorts have clean water and fresh food available? Will the sewage be working? Will there be plenty of staff on hand, was there flooding in the villages where the resort staff live?

These are just my thoughts, and as much as I love Fiji and would love to be there for another holiday. I think the health risks are to great for my family.

For those who do choose to travel after the floods, please keep safe!

Tracy

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,095 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Health and Safety for family members

If you are foo to an island resort you should have no health issues on the mainland any resorts like Sonaisali around a river mouth could be at risk as well as areas that have suffered flooding. Common sense is needed.

Edited: 12:55 am, April 02, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Health and Safety for family members

We are booked for the 13th April to stay at Sofitel Denarau. We have 3 children under 5 and I am really concerned about the heatlh risks. At the moment, we will not be covered for cancelling our holiday, which is so unfair. I feel like we are being made to either go or forgo the $5000 plus we have paid for our holiday. Not sure what to do. Any advice about the Sofitel would be greatly appreciated.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
40 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Health and Safety for family members

I agree with you rachykb - we are in the same situation. Arriving in Fiji on the 11th April and really torn between going (will we be in the way over there??) to basically kissing away $6,000. Insurance companies wont pay unless flights are cancelled even though the Australian Govt is saying "reconsider your need to travel". Makes me wonder what the point of travel insurance is?? I guess like everyone we will be glued to the news and just wait and see...

Australia
Level Contributor
611 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Health and Safety for family members

There is another family that's has just posted on one of the other threads. Since travel insurance wouldn't cover, he cancelled with Air Pacific and got the flights held in credit for a future trip, and both Shangrila and Raddison happily refunded without penalty.

Perhaps you could try that as well, and delay travel for a better time?

Good luck

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Health and Safety for family members

I agree naviti, and have posted my concerns on the other flooding threads.

In addition to the emotional trauma of seeing the floods and the aftermath, there is a good reason why people want to come home or not go to Fiji at this time, especially those staying in the Nadi, Denarau, Lautoka, Sigatoka areas.

The sewer treatment plants in all of these towns were either flooded or had no electricity, therefore the waters off these areas including Denarau would have had raw sewerage discharging into the sea. There would have also been sewer overflows.

The water treatment plants were either flooded or power was off, or pipes were broken.

Also many of the cold storage plants/storage in Namaka area were either flooded or the power was turned off. Therefore any frozen foodstuffs would have been contaminated.

Any resorts/restaurants without generators would also have contaminated frozen foods with no power to the freezers. Refreezing any of this food is a health hazard.

IMO if you are going, drink only bottled water, and be very careful what you eat, do not swim in the ocean around any of the towns mentioned above. Also be aware of diseases caused by contaminated waters.

If going to an island - Once you are on an island off the mainland you shouldn't be affected so much by the above. If your resort has a pool ensure they are treated and have enough chlorine, as many would have been overflowing with the amount of rain they received.

After being in Brisbane during our floods last year and working with authorities during this time I'll also add the stench was terrible for a couple of weeks, and waters in the bay and islands off Brisbane and the coast were polluted for weeks after from debris, silt and other contaminants.

I hope this information helps everyone make an informed decision.

LTB

Edited: 5:12 am, April 03, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
163 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Health and Safety for family members

LTB, how long do you think before things would be considered safe?

Australia
Level Contributor
817 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Health and Safety for family members

My other concern is about getting fresh food to the resorts, including the islands. Even though the islands aren't affected by the floods as such. Do they have access to fresh food that hasn't been contaminated?

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Health and Safety for family members

Some of the island resorts have their own fruit trees and vegetable gardens, and they can be brought down from the areas not flooded. No crops in flooded areas would survive.

Yee's cold store in Namaka had no power and they supply most of Fiji. Hopefully now that planes are getting back to regular schedules food can be imported. I don't think I'd want to eat seafood from around Viti Levu either.

Fiji has very different food handling standards to Australia, but took Brisbane months to recover and prices of all fresh vegetables etc skyrocketed because not only was Brisbane flooded but our areas where a lot of the local vegetables were grown e.g. Lockyer Valley.

I have no idea how long Fiji will take to recover, Australia has given them initial relief funds, and hopefully other countries will follow. They'll need any help they can get to restore all the damaged infrastructure and of course help the affected locals . I heard earlier they will have electricity rationing in some areas.

I feel for the Fijians who are homeless and lost everything, and those who lost their small businesses and the staff they employed. It's a dire situation for them. But also have some sympathy for tourists who can't cancel without losing their hard earned holiday money.

LTB

Edited: 7:41 am, April 03, 2012
Tweed Heads...
Level Contributor
201 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Health and Safety for family members

Agree with you LTB about Yees taking a hit so supplies will be interrupted in the short term. A lot of the commercial operations for vegetables and the like are based around the Sigatoka and Sabeto valley region (including the votualevu area). Difficult to get accurate reports on how farms further inland have coped but the infrastructure and retail outlets have certainly been damaged. If people are planning to go, I'd stick to bottled water for the moment and the swimming pool rather than the ocean, especially at Denarau which is not far from where the Nadi river and it's tributaries meet the ocean.

Moreton Island...
Level Contributor
6,622 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Health and Safety for family members

Suggest travellers read these articles about water and electricity and sanitation issues also.

www.fijivillage.com/…

www.fijivillage.com/…