We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

England
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Topic
Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

Hi,

We were looking to spend 5 Nights on one of the fiji island during our tour of NZ AND OZ, we have looked at prices for some of the islands they appear expensive and now to top it off we been told that the Weather spoils the islands because it's the rainy period.

We really do not want to spend the money if it rains alot. Done this before in OZ at Heron Island over the christmas period. And although the sun was out and hot it did spoill our time on the island and made it feel like a waste of money.

So my friends would you advice not to risk it?

(Trailfinders are one of the people to say about the weather).

Wolfie

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,017 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

So far out trips to Fiji in Dec/Jan have been pretty good. The offshore island tend to be drier than the main island. Last year we got the occasional shower on some afternoons but suprisingly it was not too hot. The islands too tend to get any seabreezes going, especially the smaller ones. We have spent Christmas and New Year trips at Matamanoa and mostly Navini and again are heading to Navini this year. It is the wet season but it can and does rain at any time of the year in Fiji. Only you can make the decision I appreciate you have a lot of time travel and expense to come to Fiji from England.

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,943 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

The following has information on the weather in Fiji

The western side of Fiji is drier than the northern and easter areas. The mainland too gets more rain than the outer islands. The wet season is between November and March but late cyclones have been know in March itself.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294331-s208/Fiji:Wea…

Like Barb, we have been to Fiji in December, January,. Also in February, March, and April. Could not complain about the weather. There was the brief tropic downpour usually in the afternoon. Would last from about a 1/2 to 1 1/2 hour. It also rained at night. We did have a day of rain during our two week stay. We also found it very hot and humid during these months.

The Yasawa and Mamanuca Islands tend to get less rain than the main island of Viti Levu and isalnds in the northern and eastern regions of Fiji.

The weather cannot be predicted or guaranteed. As Barb has said the choice is yours.

We recently returned from a vacation to Navini. If you would like to see pictures of the resort accommodations, grounds, tours, etc., send me your e-mail address in a private message.

Edited: 11:11 pm, June 08, 2011
Australia
Level Contributor
615 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

We are headed for Xmas and new year too for over two weeks. We usually go Easter every year, but thought bugger it, if it rains it's usually only a quick heavy downpour then it clears up.

My neighbor went to an island for Xmas just gone, and said it poured hard for about an hour everyday, then suddenly it was clear and hot again! She said the rain was a welcome relief to cool everything down, and her and her kids had a brilliant time!

Go for the experience of meeting such warm friendly people, you won't be disappointed!

Have a wonderful trip!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
751 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

Hi there, we spent 12 days on the Coral Coast over 2010/2011 New Year, we had one day of pretty much torrential rain and a couple of overcast and drizzly days - it was good because it cleared the pool out, our kids just kept on swimming.

I must admit we were worried before we went and tried to find out as much as we could about the weather but in the end it didnt matter we were just so relaxed in paradise!

England
Level Contributor
73 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

Thanks everyone for your replies, I think my partner now on reflection wants to spend the extra couple of days in New Zealand and some in Sydney (which we've done before). Although nothing's definate unless i can change her mind.

Many Thanks

6. Re: Weather 26 Dec 2011 onwards in Fiji

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 03, 2012