We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather at the end of December

Southern California
Level Contributor
61 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Weather at the end of December

My husband and I are considering a visit to Fiji over the Christmas holidays. How is the weather? We read that December is huricane season...we know you can never be certain with weather but how is it usually?

Is it very crowded during this period??

Many thanks for all replies!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather at the end of December

Hi folks, I have gotten in to trouble at times (French Poly forum usually) because some can't handle blunt. truthful, honesty. I only speak this way because I want folks to enjoy the South Pacific as much as I have, I have 20 trips experience over 25 years. With that said, you are considering in my opinion, one of the worst times to go. First it's in the midst of the hottest time of the year, humidity can be stifling, multiple days in a row of cloud cover and or rain are common, and when the sun is out it's directly overhead at noon and brutal. While Nov-March is not as crowded as other times, the holidays are a busy time, or can be. I have experienced the best South Pacific weather in April. December heat indexes can be nearing or above 100 degrees. April-Sept is much nicer. Between June - September the climate be downright ideal, high70's-low 80's and cool nights. Humidity is low and the sun much kinder. Fiji's offshore resorts are crowded during most of the latter time, this is due to heavy traffic from Australia and New Zealand folks escaping winter. April-May would be my choice. If you decide it must be December, than just be prepared for potentially trying conditions. Hopefully you will get lucky with a lack of rain. Pub