We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which resort?? Island or cruise??

Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Which resort?? Island or cruise??

I am going to fiji late Nov/ early Dec this year with my partner. We have read so many different reviews about staying on islands compared to coral coast so we have decided to split it up and stay at both....

First part of trip is mainland on coral coast so we can do the resort thing and do some mainland activities. QUESTION: Outrigger or Shangri-la?? Pros and cons anyone?? Because the shangri-la is sort of on its own own island is it harder to do the day tours???

So then the island part of the trip... Tossing up between actually staying on an island OR doing a blue lagoon cruise i.e. the 3 night/ 4day gold club cruise on the mystique princess. Has anyone been on a cruise with blue lagoon cruises and if so did you enjoy it?? As far as islands are concerned my partner and I liked the look of castaway and I have read some good reviews on that island.

I really really appreciate any help guys! Thanks :-)

Minnesota
Level Contributor
32 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which resort?? Island or cruise??

Hi boarder21,

We had the same dilemma as you. We are going in January and have decided to spend 5 nights at Matamanoa resort and then the Mystique Princess will pick us up for the 3-night Gold Club Cruise. Please post reviews when you return!

Cotswolds, United...
Destination Expert
for Maldives, North Male Atoll, Southern Ari Atoll, Lhaviyani Atoll
Level Contributor
4,626 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which resort?? Island or cruise??

Hope this message not too late for you as your posting was whilst I was on the Mamanucas Group, Castaway Island to be precise. Check out my report somewhere regarding the Gold Club Cruise on the Mystique Princess. It was fabulous and the scenery is stunning, if you require any more info on the cruise, just drop me a line.......activegirl

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
945 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which resort?? Island or cruise??

boarder21,

Your question about the Outrigger and Shangri la; I would definately stay at the Shangri La. They are less expensive, they just upgraded their rooms (the beds and pillows are wonderful, as are the big bathrooms), they have less expensive food, and a better beach. The Shangri La is connected to the main land by a causeway that takes 2 minutes to get back to the main road. There is no problem taking day tours at all.

Just remember that Castaway will have kids. They island have a ton of activities, and great food. The big thing is if you are a cruising person or a land resort person when choosing between the cruise or island.

katt

High Wycombe UK
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Which resort?? Island or cruise??

Just returned from 6 night Blue Lagoon cruise on the Fiji Princess. It was wonderful, the crew welcomed us a part of their family and with the 6 night option you get to visit a school as well as a village. Absolutely marvellous. People we met who had been on the Mystique said they wished had had longer. Two travel agents who were on our cruise to try it out and had visited all parts of Fiji previously said that with the cruise we had experienced the real Fiji. I cannot praise Blue Lagoon highly enough, it really is a must.

Chris A

Suva, Fiji
Level Contributor
251 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which resort?? Island or cruise??

Blue Lagoon Cruises run one of the best cruises in the South Pacific. Take this from one in the industry, you will not be disappointed.

As for SLF or Outrigger, I feel that there are a lot more kids at SLF. However your concern over being on 'an island' is totally unfounded. It has full raod access over a causeway.

I also feel that the water activities etc at SLF are more avaiable and better.

Suva, Fiji
Level Contributor
251 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which resort?? Island or cruise??

Oh and which ever resort you do, don't miss the Kula Eco Park. The living coral disaply with the natural mangrove filters in the back are amazing.

Stuart