We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

Los Angeles, CA
1 post
Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

We're planning to take trip to Fiji for 7 to 10 days and would like to find the best islands for snorkeling. We're also interested in a nice hotel/resort, doesn't have to be super plush, just comfortable.

I've read on the forum that Beqa is a good choice, but that post was from about 4 years ago. Is Beqa still as good as posted?

Any others which we should consider?

Also, just wondering about the weather in June (which is when we're planning for the trip) is this a good time to go?

Thanks for any advice or comments.

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
156 reviews
1. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

Snorkelling at Beqa is pretty good but my favourite snorkelling places are Matamanoa and Navini both have awesome reefs just off the beach the resorts are lovely too.

2. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:00 am, July 13, 2010
Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
156 reviews
3. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

Matamanoa and Navini you can snorkel right around the islands. You need calm seas to go right around the island at Matamanoa but the reef is extensive. The abundance of marine life including schools of groper in caves, lobsters tiny baby reef sharks along the shoreline and of course the coral make Navini really special, so much in such a small area. I have never seen such beautiful soft coral as I saw at Kadavu but the weather and currents can be tricky at time and visability can be fickle too. Beqa was OK but not as good as the others.

Los Angeles
10 posts
4. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

Thanks for all the replies everybody (I'm the other half of this trip.)

It looks like the Royal Davui might be a bit too expensive for us.

Regarding the other suggestions, exactly where is Navini? I can see the general area that it's in (Mamanuca group), but I can't seem to locate the actual island itself on Google Earth. Also, I'm wondering if an island like this might have more issues with currents given that the Mamanuca group of islands appears to be a bit "out in the open." The comment about "calm seas" being needed at times has me wondering if this is a potential issue with Matamanoa as well. Is this an potential issue? We snorkel in Southern California, which can definitely have strong currents at times, but we really prefer the calmer waters like those in the Bora Bora lagoon.

We were also looking at the area around Taveuni as a potential destination. Is the snorkelling good there, or are the areas to the west better?

Regarding a specific comment about Beqa snorkelling that Fiji_Lover_8 made -- i.e. "I would argue that it is the best in Fiji." Does this pertain to any specific spot at Beqa, and if so, is it a shoreline spot? We're certainly willing to do some boat snorkeling trips, but our focus is definitely on "shore" snorkeling that we can access from the resort we stay at. How does Beqa shore snorkeling compare to Matamanoa, and what Beqa resorts/shore spots are best?

One other thing that I wanted to mention is that while excellent shore snorkeling is a top priority, the actual island and shore itself is just as important. The best snorkeling on the planet just won't feel right if the beach isn't attractive as well. We're looking for the idyllic beaches and "tropical paradise" that people picture when they think of a "South Pacific Island."

Thanks again for all the help here -- we really appreciate it.

Larry

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
10,487 posts
156 reviews
5. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

Hi

Navini is to the south west of Treasure/Beachcomber and east of Castaway. It has no issues with currents as it has a surrounding reef and even over the drop off it is not a problem. It is very small about 5 acres, beautiful beaches. The only place you may get a current at change of tide is in the north west corner and this is away from the main snorkeling areas anyway and not always the case. Try entering "Navini Island Fiji Sunset" in the Google earth search bar I found it that way.

6. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:00 am, July 13, 2010
Los Angeles
10 posts
7. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

Thanks again for the help everybody.

HOOKED ON FIJI -- where did you enter "Navini Island Fiji Sunset" in Google Earth? I only see one search box, and when I do this search it says "We could not understand the location Navini Island Fiji Sunset." It sounds like you're actually searching for "pictures" -- how do you do this in Google Earth?

You're not referring to "Google MAPS," are you?

Thanks,

Larry

Los Angeles
10 posts
8. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

I finally found Navini -- half way between Treasure and Malolo -- but I had to just keep looking manually to find it. I was not able to find it via a "search," so I'd be VERY interested to hear how this can be done in Google Earth since my searches don't find any Google Earth "community" pictures or spots.

Thanks again,

Larry

Los Angeles
10 posts
9. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

I was reading about snorkeling at Matamanoa and I saw a comment saying that the snorkeling at the resort was okay, but that the snorkeling "trips" (boat) were needed to get to the really good snorkeling spots. Would you guys agree with this, or is the snorkeling right off the island also really good? It's really hard to tell from pictures, but one of the things I'm wondering about is how "large" the good shore snorkeling at Matamanoa is -- i.e. are there a few specific spots that are good, or is the snorkeling really good all the way around the island?

Can anyone here perhaps compare the snorkeling on Matamanoa (or other spots in Fiji) to Bora Bora? Our reaction to Bora Bora was that surprisingly (to us), the good snorkeling spots were really quite small. What was there was nice, but we were hoping for much, MUCH larger areas where you could come back several times without feeling like you covered everything.

How is the shore snorkeling at Matamanoa in this regard?

Thanks,

Larry

Los Angeles
10 posts
10. Re: Best Snorkeling in Fiji?

A couple followups: It looks like the reef to the south west of Matamanoa might be accessible via kayak. Is this the case, and if so is it a good spot, or is this not a good idea?

Just to throw another wrench into the equation here, if you take into consideration the "other" snorkel spots accessible by boat, how does Matamano compare to the other places such as Navini? From Google Earth it "looks" like Matamanoa might be closer to more potentially good spots compared to Navini. Is this the case. Matamanoa is closer to Mondriki, for example, which I read offers a lot of good snorkeling.

Thanks again everybody,

Larry