We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

My daughter lives in Queensland Australia and would like to get married over in Fiji. Obviously this is Legal but because the Marriage was Registed in Fiji what does she have to do back here in Queensland to have it recognised here.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Hi

She doesn't have to do anything. Doesn't matter where you get married as long as it is a legal ceremony registered in the country of the marriage it is recognised in Australia.I waz married in the Uk, my son and his wife in Mexico and all we had to do when we came home was to produce the marriaga certificate to change anything in our maiden name to our married name. Though my daughter in law had to have an interpreter to translate as the certificate was in Spanish, your daughter won't have that problem.

Fiji is a wonderful place for a wedding and also popular for renewing marriage vows. We had thought of doing this. Great excuse to get the family together for a holiday.

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
891 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Yes because it is not registered her in Queensland (the marriage, because they were married in Fiji) I have heard that they still have to have their names changed by Deed Poll.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
489 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Same for the USA. Provided that the bride and groom are legally eligible to marry in their home state, and they married abroad according to local laws, the marriage is legal in the US. No registration or futher paperwork is necessary once they return home, except perhaps to change to a married name. (I didn't change my name when we married in Fiji, so I don't know about that.)

Hervey Bay...
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
1,225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Hi there,

We got married in Fiji last year and I have yet to change everything over into my married name. I ended up filing it into the too hard basket....

I thought too, that I could just produce my Fijian wedding cert and it would be fine. Noooo its not. Some places may let you, but my bank wouldn't accept it. They wanted an Australian Wedding cert. Which of course isnt possible as we weren't married here! ;0(

According to the powers that be, I actually have to do a change of name, so my 'married' name is recognised here in Aust, before I can change bank details etc over.....

Its a ridiculous system, as the marraige is supposed to be recognised here in Australia.

Its been nearly a year now, so I guess I had better do something about it. =)

If things have changed I will let you know....

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Hi,

You could try changing the easier to change documents ie rates notice, drivers licence, medicare card, etc, until you get your 100 points up, then change the more difficult ones using these documents & leave the marriage certificate out of the equation where it is not recognised.

The crooks can take your identity out of your garbage & create their own, you would think it would be easier if you are legit.

Change of name certificates cost around $128

Let us know cricket how you went, as we have to do it after July.

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Threaten to close your bank account & move to another bank & I bet they will recognise the certificate then!!!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
165 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

Hi chezepops

I looked at this last year on behalf of daughter in law.

As I understand it, for those born in Queensland, and I think NSW is similar ..yes while the Fiji Marriage is legal here, it can not be registered here and you can not use the overseas Certificate as proof of change of name for Banks, Passport office, Transport Department and the like.

An application needs to be made for a change of name through Births Deaths and Marriages. You can no longer change your name through Deed Poll in Queensland.

Have a look at www.justice.qld.gov.au or give the Department a ring. My d-i-law hasn't done hers yet so can't give more concise info. I think you receive a new Birth Certificate showing your original name and a notation recording the change of name, which satisfies the relevent authorities as proof of name change.

Hope that helps.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

It is recognised as being legal, however in Victoria i had to have a name change done at Births, deaths and marriages office. To do this i had to show my fiji marriage certificate. Apparently for any marriage outside Victoria this has to be done.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

oh and you have a year to change your name on your passport for no charge. So advise that she changes name asap and then re does her passport application when she gets home.

Banks will not accept the fiji marriage certificate.

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,830 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Legalities of getting Married in Fiji

HI

Well I have never heqrd of anything so crazy. How do all the immigrants who havce married in their countries of origin fare?? Contact the Biths Deaths and Marriages Dept. in your State. A marriage is a marriage. I think these laws should be the same for every State in Australia and if lthey aren't they should be. How ridiculous. My daughter in law never khad any problem in NSW and the Bank got the interpreter to decipher the certificate same with her drivers licence, no problem.A legal marriage is a legal marriage no matter which country it was performed in. If lyou lhave any problems go ann see you local govt. member, thats what we elect them for.

Good luck.