We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather and Cousteau

Peregian Beach...
Level Contributor
4 posts
27 reviews
Weather and Cousteau

Hi, all!

We are off to the Cousteau resort on 09/01/08 for 7 nights and I'm beginning to panic about the weather. We have just endured over a week of rain and wind at home (Gold Coast) and don't want to strike the same thing in Fiji. Any locals have an idea of the outlook? I've done an internet search of the weather sites and keep coming up with different forecasts!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Weather and Cousteau

Maid, with all due respect why would you choose January for a Fijian holiday? it can be brutally hot, the sun is devastating and it's the middle of the rainy season. April-October is much better for weather, for what it's worth.

melbourne
2 posts
2. Re: Weather and Cousteau

hi there,

we are also heading to the Shangri-la on the 11th of jan for 11 nights. ive also read mixed weather reports, however there seems to be forecasts of rain for everyday. i dont think the rain lasts all day, i think it can be heavy for an hour or so and then that can be it. regardless it is going to be very hot, although not as hot as what it is here in melbourne, today is nearly 40 and we had a day last week where it got up to 44.

good luck!

colleen

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
576 posts
130 reviews
3. Re: Weather and Cousteau

Don't worry about a thing! We were at Cousteau from Dec. 20-29th.....slight showers in the afternoon...only a 1.5 days did it rain for more than 2 hours. I've read where Pub-7 thinks this time of year is "brutal" for the sun, etc. - but I was never once hot while there. I've been to Fiji four times and every time was in November or December and it's never been very hot. Cousteau doesn't have air conditioning and I was worried...for nothing! The temp was mild, the sun wasn't intense and it was overall just perfect. We went to Mexico in October and about DIED from the heat....I'm very sensitive to heat as I live in Colorado. Don't worry - Cousteau is heaven. Please tell Temba and Pete at the pool that Channing and Amy said hello! We miss them already. Again, if you do have rain (there were 5 days straight without a drop while we were there) it doesn't last long at all!!!!!

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Weather and Cousteau

Amy, the sun wasn't intense in late December? Hmmm. one thing you did get right was Mexico, what a hell hole. December in the south pacific might not always be hot hot but it can be and that is what people need to know. As for a directly overhead tropic sun not being intense? Don't insult me. The burns I have seen people attain is frightening.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
576 posts
130 reviews
5. Re: Weather and Cousteau

No need to be so vicious, Pub! I wasn't insulting you whatsoever. Your version of intense and a "terrible time to choose a holiday" is different than others. You clearly have not visited each part of Mexico, I find your comment about being a hell hole quite close minded. My point was simply to ease "MaidinOz"'s concern about their upcoming travel. You have your opinion about the "blazing" s. pacific sun - and I have mine. November and December are wonderful times to visit. Both of my children came back as pale as when they left... in the sun all day long. Enjoy your vacation MaidinOz, you're going to have a fabulous time!

wellington
Level Contributor
20 posts
6. Re: Weather and Cousteau

One thing to be aware of is that down here in the South Pacific, our seasons are really changing especially over the past couple of years. Whereas December/January used to be our hottest months it seems February/March now are here in NZ and I think its a similar case in Fiji

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
14 reviews
7. Re: Weather and Cousteau

Amy, sadly I've been to plenty of Mexico and I wouldn't give you a nickel for the entire country. I only went to keep peace in my relationship. I have spent 400 days plus in the south pacific and have been at various times of the year, I speak from experience. One year in Tahiti it was impossible to sunbathe at 8am in mid March, during May-September I can spend hours on the beach. As for your kids coming back as pale as they were before you arrived? I guess 50 spf worked well and that's good. However I don't go that far, I want to look like I have been to the tropics so a tan is important to me and I've attained them all without any serious burning. I advise people the way I do because they deserve to know the truth and that's my style. I don't always say it's a completely terrible time to go but fact is there are better. I agree with the previous poster that said Feb-March is the hottest, frankly I thought that true back in the 80's when I took my 7 Tahiti trips. I have had great weather in Ocotber and horrible in November. It's all a matter of luck. April was the best and most consistently reliable for me in the region.

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
576 posts
130 reviews
8. Re: Weather and Cousteau

If you'd ever like to give Mexico another shot, I'd be happy to forward some really nice places. Although, they will be upwards to $700/night, but I know your policy on accomodation prices might not allow such a splurge. Quite similar to your thoughts on Tahiti from the 80's, unfortunately getting dark tans is also very 80's.... the risk is just too great. Please up your SPF and take more measures in the sun! It's fortunate that you and I post the truth, as we know it, to Fiji travellers. My truth is that November and into late December are wonderful times to visit. Not too hot, a bit of a rain shower during an afternoon nap and luxurious ocean breezes! The original poster was leaving in a matter of days and I was simply trying to reassure them that they are about to have a wonderful time and to not be too concerned about weather....not chastise them for not choosing another month.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,315 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Weather and Cousteau

Amy, I know I can be very dogmatic and I assure you my tone was more severe than I meant it. I respect you but sometimes a spirited debate livens it up LOL. As for Mexico I appreciate the offer but no thanks, I never want to go there again and 700 a night is way above my price range. Ironically I do and have used higher sun protection for some years now. I still get a good tan but not near as dark as I used to get. I agree with the sun sense. Pub

Vail, Colorado
Level Contributor
576 posts
130 reviews
10. Re: Weather and Cousteau

Pub, I think one thing that you and I can agree on is that Fiji is one of - if not THEE- most amazing place on earth. A visit there is a treat regardless of the weather or time of the year....if you absolutely MUST go in February, it's still such a beautiful place! As for Mexico, at least it's close......LOL