We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Sydney
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Hi All,

My boyfriend and I are travelling to Fiji in October for a holiday on the islands however we would love to visit and donate some time and goods to one of the local orphanages or groups.

I have been looking on the internet but it is quite hard to find out any information about centres. If anyone knows of a website, person I could contact etc your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ash =)

Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
8,661 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Hi

We take clothes and/or school supplies whenever we go.

We always go to the islands and the villagers and schools are most appreciative. If you are unable to get to a village staff at island resorts will usually be happy to take the donations for you. The schools are always in need of exercise books, pencils etc. We took over some old portable typewriters a while back so the children could learn typing skills one of the teachers at a village school requested that so on a return trip we obliged. We have also sent over toys for preschoolers after seeing a group of toddlers scrapping over a toy soft rabbit.

Anything is always appreciated. Fijians seem to look after their own ( with relatives in their village system) so I'm not sure of the existance of orphanages.

Have a great holiday October is a wonderful time to travel to Fiji, usually the weather is stable and dry. We go then again too.

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Yes, there is an orphanage, on the main island. More than that I can't tell you. Orphanages are not common in Fiji because families are very expanded (everyone is related to everyone) and they truly follow that adage "it takes a village to raise a child."

I agree with the last posting - if you want to help donate to a village school. We recently visited a school on an outer island in Lau, and it's amazing what they do with so little in the way of supplies and monetary support from the government. Any reading or text books are welcome, as are any school supplies.

Whatever you do, don't bring candy. Yes, it will be welcome,, but no, they don't need it! The diabetes rate in Fiji is high, and goes unchecked. And the children don't need the sugar as they do not visit the dentist once a year like we all do - so even though they'll ask you for it, for their sakes, don't bring it.

ENJOY YOUR TRIP

Lorne, Australia
Level Contributor
108 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

I also always take books, clothes etc. whenever I go. Even if I am only having a short stay, on of the staff members at the resort are always happy to pass on to the local village of the island , or resort. I also then leave any excess clothing, magazines etc for the housekeeping staff.

Kirsty

FIJI
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Bula Ash,

I live in Fiji, there are a couple orphanages in the town I live in (NADI). If you haven't arrived yet and need people to talk to, please feel free to email and I'll pass on contacts to you. (bisous@connect.com.fj)

A friend of Mine will be arriving from England on December 21st to organise a Soup Kitchen to feed the Homeless on Christmas Day, so I'm really looking forward to that.

If you're already here, I hope you got to have a great vacation and thanks again for your wonderful contribution to our community!!

Ally~

Reno, Nv
Destination Expert
for Matangi Island, Fiji
Level Contributor
5,335 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

When we visit Fiji we take school supplies to the village we visit: pencils, pens, erasers, pencil sharpeners, flash cards, colored paper, and books. On our last trip we took the Harry Potter series as well as maps of Fiji, a world map, and two celestial maps. The teachers were deeply moved when they saw the map of Fiji, and said they were the only school to have one their region. We like to take necessities, but also like to take some toys for the childern. Have taken kites, yo yo's, jump ropes, frisbies, hair scrunchies and clips, puzzles, games, coloring books, magic markers, and felt pens. Cloths are also a great idea. The Fijian people are the most friendly and genuine people on earth and are so appreciative of anything they receive. They make you feel like family and expect nothing in return. Anything you take will be greatly appreciated more than you know. We would like to send care packages to the village we visit. It is very expensive to mail things from the states. We are hesitate to do so because we have heard that the packages make it to Nadi and never get to their desination. The Christmas cards we sent last year never arrived. Does anyone know of an agency where we could send a care package and it would be guaranteed to the village school we visit?

Melbourne
Level Contributor
174 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

I am so glad I found this topic. Hubby and I are going to Fiji for the first time in November and I was wanting to take some stationary items, books etc to a village school but didn't know how it would be received. I didn't want to offend anyone.

We have 3 boys with far too many clothes so I'll email the poster about the orphanage so we can take some clothing to them.

Thanks for posting such a great topic!

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Blackboard paint and boxes of chalk. Also take staples like flour, rice, dried milk, and bars of soap, sanitary towels, old spectacles, when going to the villages. Local clinics will also appreciate basic medicines and syringes and disposable gloves and masks. Don't forget your cava roots for the chief.

Some goods will be kept back by unscrupulous people, it's normal behaviour when you think that some staff working in organisations like orphanages often have less food and clothes than the actual organisation. Nevertheless, they do a good job. What you see on the surface when visiting an orphanage or school is not always a true picture. They will all be on best behaviour and the children will be well dressed. Their beds will be adorned with a soft toy each. The reality is often that this is just a show case. They are rightly, proud people and want to show you what a good job they do..

Port Macquarie
Level Contributor
261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

Hi,

I was just talking to my sister who used to live in Fiji & is married to a Fijian about your post & she suggested a couple of places

1, Veilmani in Ba which is for boys (my dad used to work here)

2, Dilkusha near Suva which is for girls

3, Boys Town which is on the Coral Coast

Good luck

9. Re: Fijian Orphanages - wanting to help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 pm, October 11, 2009