We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nadi off the beaten track? I want to leave the resort

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
100 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Nadi off the beaten track? I want to leave the resort

I’m 26, well traveled and on a family holiday in Fiji for 2 weeks.

We are staying at a fancy resort (The Hilton) for five nights.

I would like to spend a day to myself in Nadi to go explore. I usually travel by myself at hostels & mix with the locals so this fancy resort style isn’t my cup of tea haha.

Do you have any ideas on what I could do? With public transport only. Also any great local markets would be fun. The Fijian people at the hotel speak English but what about the majority of people?

Thank you!

2 replies to this topic
Bellingen, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
9,691 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nadi off the beaten track? I want to leave the resort

Most fijians speak English it is taught in schools. Which Hilton are you staying at Doubletree or Denarau?

To use public transport you will need a prepaid bus pass. There are markets in Nadi Town not far from Denarau if that is the Hilton you are staying at. Doubletree is a bit further away. It is advised in Nadi Town to keep to the main streets. The hotel will have information on bus timetables and places to visit. You need to be invited to a village but I an sure the hotel staff can organise that for you too. Google a map of Nadi and beyond to get an idea of how spread out it and the distance between towns. There are clubs and bars in Nadi where you have the chance to meet with locals.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Fiji
Level Contributor
4,931 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nadi off the beaten track? I want to leave the resort

We were advised some time ago by the resort taxi driver (female) not to stay in Nadi after dark but if you are keep to the main streets.

Get a pre paid bus pass and go there during the day only. I am sure there is the Hard Rock Cafe and other places at Denarau where you may catch up with some fellow travellers like yourself and have a night around the Marina.

Reply to: Nadi off the beaten track? I want to leave the resort
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted