We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warwick or The Outrigger

Australia
3 posts
Save Topic
Warwick or The Outrigger

Any recommendations on which is better for a honeymoon. I have also tried to get information on the meals they serve in the restaurants to get an idea of price, but am getting no response from the resorts. Your thoughts would be appreciated.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warwick or The Outrigger

Hey Beachgoer, some will argue but most will agree with me, forget the main island. Get out to an outer island, a different world. The beaches and lagoons you picture. Think about it. Cheers, Pub

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
140 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warwick or The Outrigger

If you are wanting the Coral Coast, you will love the Outrigger for its beauty but it has a stong American influence. However, there is no culture at this resort. And to be honest, if you are looking at that calibur of hotel (in terms of price) I agree with the previous response and suggest going out to the Mananucas... where there is a resort on an island and nothing else.

A few I would recommend are Castaway Island, Malolo Island, and Plantation Island (a bit of a younger crowd and many more activities). For a honeymoon, this would be ideal. It's just like in the pictures, crystal blue water and some of the best snorkelling experiences.

If you are staying on Malolo Island, you can inquire about Honeymoon Island just a short boat ride away which only 8-10 people can be on at any given time. For one night, this would be incredibly romantic. You will have to inquire about rates as I am not entirely sure.

The Coral Coast is great if you are looking at the cultural Fijian experience (except staying at the Outrigger). In many of the resorts you can experience the Kava ceremonies with the staff and the locals as villages are close by to the resorts. The Outrigger and resorts in the islands will demonstrate these ceremonies more as a presentation.

I hope that helps. Have a wonderful time..

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warwick or The Outrigger

Travelcritic, my problem with the coral coast mainly was weather. Being towards the windward coast and mainly in "winter" the time we prefer and only time we can go, it gets a lot of overcast. I agree it's more cultural but the beaches and lagoons don't compare as well to the outer islands. It was summed up best by two gentleman with over 40 trips to Fiji between them. When I saw them at Plantation I told them we had spent a week on the coral coast and the weather was the pits. One of the guys knew me from previous years so his response was, "you should have known better" Cheers, Pub

melbourne
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Warwick or The Outrigger

Hi there. On my second trip back to fiji for our ten year wedding anniversary (got married at the sheraton 10 years earlier) we made the mistake of staying at the outrigger. Yes its new and looks great in the pics, but the beach is crap and not existant, food was really bad too. It's nearly 2hr bus trip from airport and very boring with nothing to look at on the drive. We hired a car and did some research. We went a short distance up the road to the Warrick which eas covered in a haze of drizzle and it was very wet. Inside the hotel was nice but full of over 55's on tours. No thank you!!!!!! Did a day trip to Castaway and begged them to find a room for us to complete our holiday. It was idylic. I thought I'd died and gone to heaven compared to where i had been the last couple of days. It was a very friendly resort with lots of kids that could be seen but not heard and the staff, food and weather were great. It was November and Melbourne cup day- what luck we are from Melbourne and had a punt too. Will never stay on mainland again. If you must stay on mainland, I was Pleasantly surprised at the Fijian Resort. Huge and great white sandy beaches. Lots for families to do together. Good luck.

S.F.
Level Contributor
6,314 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warwick or The Outrigger

Sammy, thanks for backing me up on the coral coast, surprisingly I have had many arguments with people who love it. Frankly I don't think they know any better, just like people whose idea of tropical paradise is Honolulu. Give me a break. Cheers, Pub