We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

North Ferriby...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

ARghhhhhh, I think I have over-researched (if there is such a thing!), me and my boyfriend are heading to Fiji one week today, and as usual its a last minute panic to get places booked. There is too much choice!!

I've been looking through all these forums and accommodation reviews and my brain is completely mashed, dont get me wrong, some of the info on these pages are priceless, but no sooner do I decide one place, I read a bad review and it puts me off so I start looking somewhere else and the whole story begins again. It doesnt help that we have chapagne taste but lemonade money, hehe (im a back-packer and I cant bleeding stand back-packers!)

A popular place that repeatedly gets brought up on these forums is the Octopus Resort, tried to book that last week and they have no availability, humpf! Book in advance for that one guys.

Anyway there is a point in my writing this, the one question that I keep coming back to - WHICH ISLANDS SHOULD WE GO TO? (Im not even going to look at accommodation reviews as I have learnt now that someones bad is someones great!), but I still cant decide, theres all the different ones in the Yasawas which seem to have a big back-packer following, Mamanucas which seem quite near to the main land and maybe not as nice, then theres all the smaller scattered ones which no-one really seems to mention. Its very confusing, how the heck do I go about picking one/two of them to visit?

I was hoping someone whos done them all could maybe advise which are the must go to's to help save me from exploding, hehe....

Thanks everyone

Libbi :) arrghhh

Fiji Islands
Level Contributor
693 posts
6 reviews
34 helpful votes
1. Re: Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

BULA From Fiji -

There are so many islands, and they are all quite wonderful - but have different appeal to different people. That's the reason you get hot and cold reviews. In your message, you never said what you want to do. Do you want lots of activities, white sand beach, etc etc.?

And, yes, you really need to book in advance, otherwise your choices are more limited. Here are some suggestions. And, mind you, if you go to a backpackers place, guess what? You'll find backpackers!

-Funky Fish Beach Resort. In the Mamanucas. Newish budget/backpacker resort.

-Windjammer Sailing Safari and Barefoot Lodge, in the Yasawas. This is a neat trip - cruise on a tall ship every day, stay at a backpacker/budget style place at night. It's gotten great response from most of the people I book there.

-Main island - Mango Bay Resort on the Coral Coast. If you stay part time on the main island, you can do cool activvities like white water rafting, cave trips, waterfall treks, jet ski safaris and more.

-Kadavu Island. Great island! Rugged, untamed, adventurous. Matava Resort is wonderful - they have a dorm, also a private bure with shared bathroom facilities for a great price. They have the best on site owners/managers, wonderful staff, the most awesome food, and they'll take you gamefishing, snorkeling, kayaking, picnicing. It's not a real backpacker type place, so that might fit the bill for you. They don't have a white sand beach, but if you paddle a few meters away, there's a private island with a great beach and they'll pack you a lunch you can take with you.

ENJOY!

Pacific Coast...
Destination Expert
for Fiji, Mamanuca Islands, Navini Island
Level Contributor
11,747 posts
163 reviews
248 helpful votes
2. Re: Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

Head up to the Yasawa, Botaira, Nanuya, Oarsmans Bay all good

reasonably priced resorts. Island hop, have a few nights at each.

Fantastic snorkellinbg or diving at all of these.

I'd stay away from the maminland at this time of year too much rain.

The Mamanuca or Yasawa groups are on the drier side of Fiji.

Enjoy

Barb

idaho
Destination Expert
for Sun Valley, Ketchum, Beach Vacations, Idaho
Level Contributor
12,154 posts
585 reviews
272 helpful votes
3. Re: Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

Try Captain Cooks Sailing Safari, that was really fun. enjoy

North Ferriby...
Level Contributor
17 posts
13 reviews
16 helpful votes
4. Re: Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

Thanks suz, barb and charley.....some great advice there, its certainly narrowed down some options for us. Were hoping for a bit of relaxing mixed in with some activities etc. I'm going to get looking into some of the places mentioned right now. I'll let you know how I get on....

Libbi :)

5. Re: Head about to explode girl who is going to fiji next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 26, 2009