We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad News abt Air NZ

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Bad News abt Air NZ

We just got back from 2 weeks in Raro. One of my evening enjoyments was to read the Cook Island News. According to them, Air NZ is going to code share with Air Tahiti Nui from LAX to Tahiti and then to Auckland. Trouble is, Rarotonga is not in the equation, and Air NZ will not be flying the route, only Tahiti Nui. SOOooo...if this goes through, to get to Raro, you will have to fly from LAX to Tahiti to Auckland on Tahiti Nui and then to Raro from Auckland on Air NZ. Way to much tarvel for me. Chuck

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

Are you sure?

*IF* (sorry to be so sceptical, but it is so far reached, it's hard unbelievable!), if that is correct, that means more tourists for FP, less for the Cook Islands. Excellent move of Tahiti Nui.

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

So upset about this I am mixing up my language.

Should read:

"it's hard to believe" or "it's unbelievable".

California USA
Level Contributor
34 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

Did the article say "when" this would take effect or is it still in the "we might do this stage"?

We're flying Air NZ the last week in Oct., defintely will ask Air NZ employees about this!

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

It is in the negotiating stage. Air NZ is negotiating with Thaiti Nui. Bottom line is that Air NZ wants to save fuel and really doesn't care about tourists from North America as Kiwi and Aussi tourists can still easily fly from Auckland to Raro. I also read this same story in the Auckland Sunday StarTimes. And yes, this would be a GREAT move for Tahiti. Hawaiian Airlines also flys from Honolulu to Papete. Chuck

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

Hi all,

Now that's a shocker....I immediatley picked up the telephone and called the Los Angeles Sales office for Air New Zealand.

I just spoke with the LAX representative and this code share issue with Air Tahiti Nui is news to them!

ergo: There is apparently no truth to this rumor....they intimated that they consider Air Tahiti Nui to be a competitor and Air New Zealand will be expanding it's routes. So I am really curious as to what publication this was in? The Cook Island News? Hmmm....

At any rate....that's what I know.

sunny regards,

shully

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

This info was in both the Cook Island News AND the Sunday Star*Times" from Auckland. And the article from the StarTimes said that when the reporter contacted Air NZ their comment was "no comment" so your answer from the LA Air NZ folks does not suprice me. We'll just have to wait and see. Chuck

santa barbara,CA
Destination Expert
for French Polynesia, Cook Islands, Tahiti
Level Contributor
8,455 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

Hi Black Belt:

Indeed I agree with you! Seems like the article has appeared in numerous publications as you said....time will tell.

:)

sunny regards,

shully

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

Hmmmm ... I certainly hope it's not true! (But if it is, it'll give me an excuse to go to New Zealand next time ...)

New Zealand
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

In July Air NZ recently a number of changes to it's long haul routes and at the end of the media release it says it is "closely examining the frequency of its operations to Tahiti".

santa cruz, ca
Level Contributor
67 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bad News abt Air NZ

I am getting ready to book our flights for next Aug. Currently they (air NZ) show a direct flight avail. from LAX to RAR. If these changes take place, do you think they would honor the flights already booked or do you think they would make us do the tahiti, aukland stopovers?? uggg, we would almost lose a whole another day =(