We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

LAX Connections

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
LAX Connections

My wife and I are putting together the last piece of planning for our honeymoon, the Pennsylvania to LAX leg. This is our first international trip, so sorry if these questions are obvious to most. :)

I was hoping someone out there has a feel for the timing of connections. We can get a really good deal on a non-stop United flight to LAX, but it arrives @ 9:45 PM. This leaves 2 hours before departure to Rarotonga, is that enough time? I have no idea how hectic LAX would be at that hour and if that possible.

Someone told be United is a "Star Alliance" member with Air New Zealand and can check our baggage all the way through, but I'm checking still on that.

Thanks!

Andy

Seattle, WA. USA
Level Contributor
2,884 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: LAX Connections

Well, it PROBABLY is enough time. If everything goes well, it should be enough - BUT I really recommend getting there a bit earlier (3 hours or so) because if you miss your flight there is not another one for a couple of days (unless they route you via New Zealand). I would NOT want to miss that flight.

If you have extra time at LAX, just wander over to the Tom Bradley terminal for a bit better food (even a couple of sit-down places instead of fast food).

Ken

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: LAX Connections

Lord Balfor is right that you don't want to miss your Air NZ flight. However, you have a couple of things on your side to NOT miss your connection. (1) Your United flight is non-stop. Much less chance for being late or delayed. (2) United is a star alliance member along with Air NZ. Your bags will be checked in PA all the way through to RAR so you will have no worries there. (3) being the two airlines are star alliance members, there will be more communications between the two if for some chance there is a problem with your PA to LAX leg and you will be helped all they can to get you on your LAX - RAR leg. I have had many times with 2 hours or less and never had a problem. I would check your PA - LAX flight with United and find out it's on time %. If it up there in the 90%s, I say go for it! And if you do, for some chance miss your RAR flight, Air NZ will work with you and help you with another flight and whatever is needed. It is a L-O-N-G flight, but the anticipation, great food and wine on the plane, and the Tahiti stopover halp the time go by. Have a great time. Chuck

DCA
Springfield...
Level Contributor
407 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: LAX Connections

As someone who flies a lot, I see the advice you are getting here is pretty good. United and Air New Zealand can indeed check your baggage through as part of the Star Alliance partnership. In theory, anyway. I've had trouble doing it when ticketed on separate Star Alliance itineraries (as it sounds like you will be on this trip). Just in case, you might try a longer connection at LAX in case you need to claim and re-check your bags, then clear security again. Keep in mind that as you're flying on separately ticketed journeys, United will not be responsible for any misconnect to your NZ flight. I'd err on the side of caution.

You might pose this question at www.flyertalk.com on either the United or Air New Zealand forums. Odds are someone there has done this same itinerary and can give details about their experience (or run a search and you may find an existing thread).

Note if you are a Star Alliance gold level flyer, you can access the NZ lounge or any Star Alliance carrier lounge at your international departure gateway (LAX in this case).

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: LAX Connections

DCA is right.

If you are travelling on separate tickets they are not obligated to help you. We have had this happen before.

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: LAX Connections

Doesn't United fly into terminal 6 and Air New Zealand out of terminal 2?

Vancouver...
Level Contributor
7,750 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: LAX Connections

You guys are right about seperate tickets. However, you can go to the Air NZ website and get one ticket on Air NZ from Philadelphia round trip to Raro. It is one ticket issued by Air NZ, but you fly from PA to LAX on United, then change to Air NZ. Check your bags once and get all the help you need in case of travel delay, which, I really doubt, since you have no connecting flights from PA to LAX. Like my favorite saying goes: "Don't be a tourist, be a traveler". Chuck

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: LAX Connections

Andy it sounds like you have already purchased your LAX/RARO ticket.

Good luck Andy,

Donna

Michigan
Level Contributor
156 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: LAX Connections

We had about a three-hour window between our flight into LAX and our flight to Raro. We wanted to give ourselves plenty of time, because there are only three flights a week from LAX to Raro, so we did NOT want to chance missing ours!

We also had a looooong trek between the terminals (from American to ANZ), so I think my very-nervous DH would have preferred even MORE time! (Though I personally felt we spent plenty of time traveling as it was!)

Canada/Australia
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: LAX Connections

We only have a two hour conection but we are on an Air New Zealand ticket all the way.

Belgium
Level Contributor
776 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: LAX Connections

I tried to book our flights Brussels-London-LA-Rarotonga on the ANZ webside but kept getting the reply they could not offer the Brussels-London leg. So I was obliged to book BRU-LHR separately, which i did on British Midland. On BM's website it says they don't check luggage through if not on the same ticket. So I called them: although both ANZ and BM are part of the Star Alliance they do NOT check our luggage through in LHR.

Strange thing though: I also called ANZ for our return flight: they DO check the luggage through at LHR for the ANZ->BM connection!