We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

Wanaka, New Zealand
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

Hello, my husband and I are interested in an approx 3 week holiday in either Cook Islands or Samoa, and are keen to hear opinions regarding either/both. We would prefer self catering private beach front accommodation, and interested in swimming and snorkelling - preferably freely available without having to travel to special beaches or areas specifically for this. Accommodation price range in the $NZ300-350 per night range. We are not keen on touristy resorts (hence have ruled Fiji out) and like to have a mix of things to do and places to see combined with relaxed time reading and swimming/snorkelling, although mostly after a relaxing chilled out holiday. We prefer quiet non-family friendly places ie free of young children. I am being as specific as I can to help with any recommendations that may be offered. I look forward to any comments you may be inclined to offer - thanks :)

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
Level Contributor
1,860 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

Kia Orana Bee47, There are a couple of accommodations on Aitutaki in the Cook Islands that I think meet your needs exactly. The following web site lists accommodations on Aitutaki aitutaki-accommodations.com/Aitutaki_Accommo…

You might want to especially check out Ootu Villa and Ootu Beach House. They are right on the beach with a spectacular view of the lagoon. There is good snorkeling just a short walk away as well as good places to eat within walking distance. Most places also have weekly rates.

You couldn't find a better place for a relaxed, laid back holiday.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
5,952 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

Hi Bee47

Have been to Samoa a couple of times and enjoyed it, but Raro is my definite favourite.

There aren't many self catering places in Samoa and, in general, the beaches are not as good as the Cooks by a long way.

There's a huge range of self catering options in Raro. If you're in one of these self-contained places on the beach you're unlikely to be over-run by kids especially if you're not travelling in school holidays.

Have a look at this website where you'll find lots of options, including many directly on the beach.

holidayhomes.co.nz/for-rent/…

If there's anything you fancy come back and ask. Someone will probably have stayed there and be able to help. IMO the best swimming and snorkelling is in the Titikaveka area and it's the least busy part of the island. Vaimaanga is also good.

But opinions will vary here. I think Muri is overdeveloped. Arorangi on the west side has great sunsets but the swimming is not as good.

With 3 weeks you could look at staying in both Rarotonga and Aitutaki.

Edited: 10:30 pm, November 04, 2012
3. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 3:05 am, November 08, 2012
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

Kelvin it is not on to promote your own accomodation - it has been reported

Rarotonga, Cook...
Level Contributor
6 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

Is this true? I was not aware, but at the same time I believe I was providing an unbiased view of the 2 countries. I will wait to hear from trip advisor on the protocol.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
Level Contributor
3,611 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

You can provide an unbiased view of Samoa versus Cook Islands anytime - you just can't promote (and especially without any acknowledgement) accommodation you own or run. This forum is about real travellers providing their insights – not a sales medium. If you’d like to check out the rules www.tripadvisor.com.au/help/postingandediting

Suzi

7. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:11 pm, January 21, 2013
8. Re: Rarotonga/Cook Islands or Samoa?

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 11, 2013