We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

duty free alcohol

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
duty free alcohol

We returned from Rarotonga last night on the direct flight to Sydney and you are not allowed to bring duty free alcohol from Rarotonga back into Australia on this flight we have been traveling the Pacific for over 10 years and this is the first time we couldn’t bring alcohol home with us

Dave

Tuncurry, Australia
Level Contributor
738 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: duty free alcohol

have never had this problem before on any direct flight into Australia from the pacific remember we are talking about a direct flight not transiting through another country

Dave

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island, Noosaville, Rarotonga
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
273 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: duty free alcohol

It certainly doesn't make any sense to me. In fact I thought poor Holly must have got it wrong when she first reported it.

I must admit I'm also surprised that the Rarotonga duty free shops haven't raised the issue as they must be losing out because of this. Or maybe they have, without success.

South Pole
Level Contributor
15,381 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: duty free alcohol

"remember we are talking about a direct flight not transiting through another country"

that's immaterial.

if there are no special duty free delivery arrangements made by the airports then even direct flights are affected.

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
8 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: duty free alcohol

Sounds suspiciously like the Australian Govt are trying to protect their domestic duty free shops. Duty free spirits out of Raro are so much cheaper - this way they can get people to buy on the AU side when they land. Wouldn't surprise me!

Hazelbrook
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: duty free alcohol

We have travelled to Vanuatu 4 times and have never had any issues taking duty free liquor back to Sydney in our carry on luggage. Your purchases are handed to you when you have past through customs at Port Vila. We have also never heard of anyone else having problems with Vanuatu, Fiji or Samoa so it would be safe to assume that it is only an issue with the Cook Islands.

(Singapore being in SE Asia)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
90 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: duty free alcohol

We have travelled to Rarotonga for the sixth time in September last year. On our return we have bought 2 one litre bottles of spirits each in Auckland Duty Free before we changed flights for Melbourne. We never had a problem. We always fly from Melbourne via Auckland and I don't understand what the problem is if you fly direct from Sydney?

17. Re: duty free alcohol

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Cook Islands