We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

Seville, Andalucia...
2 posts
Save Topic
Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

Hi! everyone I'm new here. Yesterday me and my boyfriend bought tickets to South America with 2 days in Venezuela on the way there and 1 on the way back to Europe.

we were told by them that there was absolutely no problem if we clear immigration (coming from Europe) then leave the country 2 days later to Rio but coming back in the country for 1 day (2 months later) and leave for Europe. Is it ok??? We read we needed a tourist card but they also said that was given to us on the airplane.

our tickets to Venezuela cost us only 550€ return!!! each. Now they explained to us the black market rate stuff and how they legally could sell those tickets, like... tickets can be paid in Venezuelan currency even if the flight originates In Europe but has to has Caracas as final destination and then transaction is done in Ven so legally bought tickets. Then in Europe they charge the money in Euros. aarrg is all very complicated if you are not Venezuelan but (as I understood) it is illegal to exchange money WITHIN the country. Even if we exchange a little still illegal? They (the travel agency) recomended to us not to change at the airport or anywhere. So how much would I need for two people exchanging the money at the official rate? we need to eat, sleep etc expend. They recomend us Eurobuilding hotel. very close to the airport.

We have no plans for those 2 days, so it is ok to go to the beach in La guaira? We were told NOT to go but they are a bit paranoid I think. Anyway thank you very much for reading this and any help will be very appreciated. Sylwia.

Isla de Margarita
Level Contributor
1,185 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

Flight tickets purchased in Venezuela in Bolivares (the local currency) must be flights that originate in Venezuela.

One or two days is not much time to do very much. I would suggest you get a hold of a frequent, Caracas based, poster here by the name of NELVEN whom could be of great help to you for a short stay of two days. Just enter his name in the search bar at the top of the page and send him a personal message. He can help you with lodging, money chang and seeing Caracas for a couple of days.

Hope this helps and have a good, albeit short, stay in Venezuela.

Edited: 7:39 am, August 25, 2013
Seville, Andalucia...
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

Thank you vey much for your reply. I'm going to check the guy you named.

I talked to Tap air portugal directly and they told me Lufthansa, Tap, Alitalia, Iberia all accept payments in bolivares even for flight originated in Europe, No airlines from Noth America do it though. And well I have my own ticket. I think many people dont know. And for us we would have not known this . I can share the links for anyone interested.

Called the Polish embassy in Spain and all good with our entry/exit in transit.

Thank you Posada Margarita

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
19 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

Hi Sylwia, you will have no problems to enter with your polish passport, there are no additional requirements, everyone must fill 2 forms one for customs and another for migration. Official info here: …embavenez-us.org/preguntas/69/who-can-trave…

As info_posadamargarita says, is a very short visit and it depends of your budget and your interests. In example. near the airport are the eurobuilding express and mariott playa grande. The first one has nothing do around and you should always take a taxi or shuttle to move. The Marriott is very expensive and has a safe beach club nearby, which you could go paying an access fee. You will have more hotel options at Caracas. If you prefer a lonely beach, there are deluxe "posadas" about 1 1/2 hours from the airport. You can see one of them at my last review

About money exchange in fact is ilegal, but everyone change in "the black market", because the relation is 5x1 vs the oficial rate. The most important is to locate in advance a trust person who warrant you to change back at a similar rate, in the case that you don´t spend all the Bs. Its important to know that the money

exchange booths will change from $ to Bs at oficial rate, but they will not change Bs to $, and thats an issue. I think that for a couple of days (all included) 200$ its ok.

Important:

- Don´t change money at the airport

- Its easy to change USD$ than Euros

If you stay near the airport and want to come to Caracas, ask for a shuttle service in the hotel, in case they don´t provide take the buses that come from the airport and leave you at the metro, its the cheapest way to come. A taxi will cost about 350Bs.

If you have any doubts, do not hesitate to ask or write me.

Have the best trip

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

I purchased a flight orginating in Europe recently with Iberia and paid in Bolivares. It cost me $200 round trip which was incredible! Although I don't recommend Iberia to or from Caracas as they use planes with no seat back TV.

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

Hi dillisw,

I'm an English student whose currently travelling in Venezuela (in Merida now). Do you know how you go booking flights with Iberia and pay in BsF cash? Do Iberia offices in Venezuela accept BsF cash for flights that don't originate in Venezuela (if I pass my exams I really want to come back to South America!)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Caracas, Venezuela
Level Contributor
474 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

The tickets were purchased in a travel agency, and they accepted Bolivares despite the flight originating in Europe.

7. Re: Money, entry requirements and CHEAP tickets!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 am, September 29, 2014