We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it save place for vacation?

NY
3 posts
Save Topic
Is it save place for vacation?

Hi! I am american citizen. I have friends in Venezuela and want to go there for vacation. But I am afraid to go because of unstable political situation and security.

My american friends keep telling me it is not good idea to go to Venezuela?

And my venezuela's friends tell opposite?

I want to hear from people recently vacationing there?

I is save to go on vacation to Venezuela and what the best place?

Caracas Venezuela
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

Hi,I am a native venezuelan. This is a beautiful country where you could spend the best vacation of your life. However, my best recommendation: Stay away from Caracas and the west region, Andes provinces,etc. because of guerilla and political unrest. It is looking for unecessary trouble.If you come to Caracas you will have to fly , drive or sail by ferry to Maragrita. None of these trips are pleasant.

. Best bet is to fly charter to Margarita Island ( excelent packages available in the US.) From there, dependig on your budget take tours to Canaima fall, Gran Sabana. You can experience traveling in the jungle, climbing mountains. I would like to send you a link where you can see places you like o visit. There are exciting ecological tours you could take to the rainforest.

Caracas Venezuela
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

I forgot to mention that anything you do in the eastern part of the country is rather safe. No more than any place you could vistit in the caribean.

ny
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

hi Iam an american and me and my fience travel to venezuela every year. It is a great place to visit especially if you have friends to show you around. If no friends i would not go. There is some political situations but they are mainly in Caracas the westeren country. Your friends will also know where not to take you, lets hope! I have had the best experience in Venezuela on Morrocoy islands. Lots of white sand beaches and great for snorcaling plus very cheap. I also have met the most wonderful people in the world. I first thought because iam american there would be a little hatred or dislike from people but I have experienced exactly the opposite. With someone showing you around you will have the best vacation of your life. Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stoney Creek
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

Hey, come to Margarita. It is apart from the political strife on the mainland. It is quite safe as long as you observe the usual protocol when travelling. Same goes for anywhere in the world. What most people don't realize is that although they are part of Venezuela, the violence never seems to seep in from the mainland. Come here and you will see why this place is blessed by God.

UK
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

I spent 2 months in Venezuela last summer, 1 month on the mainland and 1 month on Margarita Island. I only stayed in a hotel if i moved to a new area, otherwise i looked for cheap rented accommodation in a housing area and just lived like everyone else really. I didn't do this by myself of course, i was with other Venezuelan people. For the whole 2 months i was there i didn't have any problems with security or political situations. I only spent one night in Caracas. One of my friends also had to go to Columbia but i decided not to go, just in case. I read that there is problems around the border area between Venezuela and Columbia.

I found that politics was a hot topic in alot of conversations. Even though i don't speak much Spanish (if any) i could still sense when it was being talked about. You could tell that people were passionate about there political leanings when they were talking. As a joke people used to ask me who i liked, Chavez or the other party (can't remember who they are now). I just went with the majority or stayed neutral, it was all in good fun though. From what i have read, alot of the political unrest in centred around Caracas, not inland, or on Margarita Island. I did actually read up on Venezuela's history and political situation before i left although my interest in politics is zero.

All i can say is don't believe all that you read and if there is any problem in any country it is usually confined to a small area. For example if you read a countries profile on the UK it will mention crime, IRA and terrorism and what not. You immediately think that as soon as you step out of a taxi you are either going to get robbed or blown up, but you know an i know it isn't like that. To be honest i felt safer in parts of Venezuela than i did here in parts of the UK. I didn't fear for my safety once. Obviously like any place you still need to use your common sense and analyse any situation, maybe more when you are a tourist. If you are with other Venezuelan friends you will be fine. You might even avoid getting charged extra in a taxi if you are with them. I remember my taxi fair doubled one day when i was on my own and not with friends...lol.

I found the Venezuelan people to be excellent. They were warm, friendly, welcoming and probably the best way i can describe them is just being one big family. Well compared to the cold people that live in my area.

Probably the only things worth worrying about are, the headache of Caracas, it's airport, the mosquitos in the central areas of Venezuela (never got bit once in Margarita Island), the tap water (woohoo, don't drink the tap water). Oh, and trying to get on or off a bus when it is full. It's all good fun though.

Maybe it is worth talking about the airport more. When you arrive and walk outside there will be guys there asking you if you need any help. Whatever you do don't give them your bag. They will give you it back of course, but you will have to pay. If you don't speak any Spanish then it can be a bit stressful. Okay now the departure, never again. I got a flight from Margarita Island to Caracas, that went fine. Then i walked through the doors for international departures and was faced with a queue of 200 people, just to get there baggage checked, and that wasn't even the departure desks for my airline...total nightmare. Now, people will tell you to watch out for the guys in white shirts that will walk you straight up to the front of that long queue, get your bags checked quick style and then straight on to check-in. I decided to use one of them to avoid the queue of 200 people. And yes he will ask me for around $50 when he finally gets me through, half for him and half for the police guys that checked your bags. So when he asks for it, play dumb and stand your ground during the haggling session. I ended up paying $20. The other option is, of course, stand in the queue and lose the will to live at the same time.

Well i've whaffled on a little to much. I just signed up here and thought i would try and answer a couple of posts. If you want to go to a tourist place and relax, Margarita Island is probably a good place. You can either fly there or take a ferry, i recommend flying, it only take around 45 minutes from Caracas. You could even fly direct from the US.

Hope this all helps a little..

RJ

texas
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

My husband and I were in Venenzuela for a while in Dec. 2004 and do not recommend that you visit this country. From the moment we arrived to the airport it was nothing but attitude!!! These people are not to fond of Americans. Although the land itself is very nice, there are more hospitable places to visit. Save your money to go somewhere worth your time!

texas
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

My husband and I were in Venenzuela for a while in Dec. 2004 and do not recommend that you visit this country. From the moment we arrived to the airport it was nothing but attitude!!! These people are not to fond of Americans. Although the land itself is very nice, there are more hospitable places to visit. Save your money to go somewhere worth your time!

Omaha, NE
Level Contributor
44 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

We were just in Venezuela in January 2005. (but not Caracas) The airlines helped up find a driver. If I was met at the airport by a friendly face, I would have no concerns at all. We did not take jewelry, cash, designer jeans, etc. Don't take large sets of matching luggage that call attention. We did keep secure copies and originals of our passports.

The only problem we had was we couldn't get cash from the ATM however, the locals can exchange for you (don't carry it in a wad).

We went there from Puerto Rico---Venezuela is cleaner, friendlier, and felt safer to us. The food was great, the beer cold, and the people polite. As a group, they don't speak English, so take your Spanish along.

Remember, in Venezuela they think you get shot if you go to New York City......

Stoney Creek
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

Please pay no attention to PinkyPizzaHead. Her statements are catagorically untrue.

Stoney Creek
Level Contributor
119 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it save place for vacation?

Or is it Categorically? OOpS! :)