We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

Cincinnati, Ohio
1 post
Save Topic
US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

I'm planning to visit Venezuela for 2 months this next fall/winter. The last time I was there was 3+ years ago when a visa wasn't necessary. I know I will need to go to the D.C. embassy to apply for one. I'd like to know is how easy or difficult this has been in recent months. Some of the questions I have are:

Is it necessary to make an appointment or can you go to the embassy during their regular business hours?

Were the staff helpful or not?

Was it necessary to have an airline reservation before making the application? Is it possible to get a via if you plan to enter by land? (I entered from Maicao, Colombia in 2015.)

Was there anything required for the application that was not not listed on the official VE embassy web site?

How long did it take to get the visa approved and your US passport returned to you?

Do you have any other relevant information or advice?

I have friends in VE and I'm aware of the current situation, so, respectfully, there's no need for any political editorializing.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
Colombia
Colombia
South America
Posada Margot
Posada Margot
#1 of 8 hotels in Tucacas
Posada Don Elicio
Posada Don Elicio
#1 of 7 hotels in La Colonia Tovar
Posada La Cigala
Posada La Cigala
#1 of 11 hotels in Isla El Gran Roque
5 replies to this topic
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
108 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

I really loved this part of your post whatever your political vision of the world is;

"I have friends in VE and I'm aware of the current situation, so, respectfully, there's no need for any political editorializing."

It's a great idea to add that in a post about Venezuela!

Mentioned in this post
Venezuela
Venezuela
South America
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

I received my tourist visa from the Houston consulate a few weeks ago with no major issues and staff was fairly helpful.

No appointment was necessary for me, I just went to the consulate during their very limited open office hours.

My first visit, I had everything listed on the website but there were a few things the Consulate required that were not on that list so I did have to go back a second time. The most important thing was a notarized invitation letter from a VZ citizen that had a scanned copy of their ID to accompany it. The other thing was the updated application form that was not posted anywhere online. So be aware that they can ask you for those things but they may require other documents out of the DC consulate. I am not sure how standardized the process is between consulates so be prepared to go back a second time with more information.

Just an estimated flight itinerary is necessary for the visa so you do not need to purchase yet. I am unsure on land entry though.

It took exactly 3 weeks for me to receive my passport back with visa once I submitted everything that was required. Other people going on my trip who took their docs in a few weeks later had taken 4+ weeks. One still has not received his back yet and our trip is in a few weeks so hopefully we hear something soon.

Good luck with everything and enjoy your trip!

Rochester, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

I was in San Francisco on business so I applied for my tourist Visa at the consulate there. I received it in just under 3 weeks. I gave them the application, bank statement, mortgage statement, flight itinerary (not booked), hotel reservation, check for return postage, and 2 photos. Each consulate has its own requirements. Then they probably googled me while I was waiting to be processed 😀. I returned about 3 weeks ago from Vzla. Beautiful people and beautiful country.

Rochester, New York
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

One more thing: The staff was very helpful, although very curious about why I wanted to vacation there. I emailed the consulate ahead of time to confirm the documentation requirements, because there is some conflicting information online.

1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?

I applied for a visa yesterday in Chicago. The person I spoke with was helpful. I did not need an appointment.

The only thing that was requested was that since I was staying with a friend there, the Venezuelan rep asked for my friend to send her a photocopy of her identification by email. She stated that it is taking 4-6 weeks for visas to be issued but they have been denying quite a few lately. Also, you do not have to purchase your ticket beforehand. Just reserve a flight and give them that itenerary.

Mentioned in this post
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Reply to: US citizen's experience getting a visa to Venezuela?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Venezuela
;