We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

We will be traveling from BA to Montevideo on 1/1/13. There is a very early Ferry 7:15am and the rest are stopping in Colonia. From Colonia you take a 2.5 hour bus to Montevideo. Has anyone every done the 1 hour ferry & then the 2.5 hour bus? Is it a pleasant ride or the ride from hell? I'd rather not leave so early on New Years Day but will if the ferry bus option is long or pain, etc. Anyone?

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

I live in BA and Punta del Este, and make the trip between the two with many different Ferry/bus combinations. One combo is Buquebus fast ferry to Colonia continuing with Buquebus bus to Monetevideo. (From there I change to a local bus to go to Punta.) If this is the trip you are talking about, it is easy and pleasant. You walk right out of the ferry arrival terminal onto the nice, modern bus and away you go. You arrive at the Tres Cruces bus station in Montevideo, which is not the most convenient place to start a visit to Montevideo, but few bus stations are.

Even if you are talking about taking the fast ferry just to Colonia and the switching to a local bus service to go to Montevideo, it's still easy and pleasant. The local buses leave from a station a couple of hundred yards from the ferry terminal in Colonia, and they run every half hour. They are as modern and comfortable as the Buquebus buses.

The trip between Colonia and Montevideo is 85% beautiful countryside, a bit like Umbria in Italy, and 15% outskirts of Montevideo, like outskirts of any city, i.e., not so pretty

You can look at all the local schedules at TresCruces.com

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
8 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

Thank you! This has been super helpful.

One more questions since you are a local.

I need to pick up a rental car in Montevideo but it seems most are closed on New Years Day (when I would be arriving from BA). I'm staying in Regency Rambla so I'm not near downtown Montevideo. Would like to book rental car for pick up jan 2nd 2013. Can I find a rental car in this area or must I return to downtown Montevideo? I depart Saturday Jan 5th via the direct fast ferry to BA.

Also, assuming it will be easy to find a taxi on Jan 1st when I depart from the Buquebus and arrive in Montevideo?

Thanks again!

sarah

Punta del Este...
Level Contributor
3,654 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

I'm afraid I can't really help you definitively with either of those questions. On the second, my guess is that taxis will be available on Jan. 1. As for the location of rental car agencies, I just don't know.

Montevideo, Uruguay
Level Contributor
102 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

Hi Sarah, I´m Fernando Semproni (Indoor Uruguay, local travel agency) a car rental company can give you the car at the hotel, you don´t have to go to any place.

About the trip is around 3 hours and a hafl, but you have another ferrys that day.

Best regards

Fernando Semproni

Indoor Uruguay

Your local connection

5. Re: Ferry to Montevideo via Colonia? Too Long or OK?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, November 03, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Montevideo