We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Update on Restaurants in Ciudad Vieja.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
417 posts
693 reviews
Save Topic
Update on Restaurants in Ciudad Vieja.

Ituzaingo crosses the main drag of Sarandi at the top end of Plaza Matriz where the cathedral is. If you turn right from Sarandi into Ituzaingo, past the cathedral, cross over the Rincon, half way down the next block you will find Brazilero, supposedly the oldest restaurant in Montevideo. I haven´t made it there yet, but my friends tell me it´s very good.

Across the road from Brazilero at number 1434 you will find Cafe Santoral. It´s a lunch time place, mainly for takeaways, with a drinks fridge and not much decor, but it does have a couch setting and a few tables. We happened upon it because it was the only place open during Santa Semana week.

Here we found excellent food for extremely low cost. I ordered a meat and vegie dish, and the meat was unusually tender. My girl friend had the seafood paiella which was also yummy, and our friends ordered quich and salad, also really nice. With drinks our bill came to 250 pesos (US$12.50) for the two of us, and same for our two friends.

The girl running it gave good service, was very friendly and as a bonus spoke reasonable English. Definitely the best value in town, my only reservation about Santoral is that the decor is very ordinary. But it´s half the price of the other restaurants I´ve reviewed, and the food in most cases is probably just as good.

Catedral Matriz
Sacred & Religious Sites, Churches & Cathedrals
Iglesia de las Carmelitas
Churches & Cathedrals, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Iglesia Stella Maris
Churches & Cathedrals
Level Contributor
39,650 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Update on Restaurants in Ciudad Vieja.

Thanks for the update, I have taken note for our next visit in October.

Penang Island...
Level Contributor
417 posts
693 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Update on Restaurants in Ciudad Vieja.

Enjoy your visit Chrella. This will be my last update of Ciudad Vieja as I am off on a cruise to Italy and beyond on Sunday.

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
44,939 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Update on Restaurants in Ciudad Vieja.

Thanks for your Coudad Vieja restaurant posts. AussieCowboy. Happy travels

4. Re: Update on Restaurants in Ciudad Vieja.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 pm, June 19, 2013
Still have questions?
Post your own question so other travelers can help.
Ask a question