We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beaches

Which Montevideo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Francisco...
10 posts
Save Topic
Beaches

Do people go in the water at the City beaches?

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
606 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beaches

Yes in most of montevideo beaches people go for a bath and swimming , but from november to march , then is pretty cold

Montevideo, Uruguay
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Beaches

I'll just second that yes. You see people in the water all the time during high season. In fact the beach at Pocitos at Montevideo is packed from December to early March. It'd be a bit cold at the moment though!

3. Re: Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:32 pm, December 04, 2011
Monmouth Beach, New...
Level Contributor
451 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beaches

WE want to go to Punta Del Este in January, but hotels are booked already...Are we missing much if we stay in Montevideo for three days of beach time????

Cabarete, Dominican...
Destination Expert
for Cabarete
Level Contributor
40,283 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beaches

stan_rubin,

Montevideo beaches are okay but it's much nicer if you go east. My guess is not that hotels are fully booked already but that they don't want to book for just three days.

Try other areas, such as Piriapolis, Punta Colorada, or any of the beaches in Rocha reservas.net/alojamiento_hoteles/rocha_touri…

Silvia

6. Re: Beaches

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Edited: 2:32 pm, December 04, 2011
7. Re: Beaches

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Beaches

One other thing to consider, and some of the MVD residents here can correct me if I'm wrong, but Montevideo's beaches are on a freshwater river; where Punta del Este's beaches are on the saltwater ocean.

(I believe, I've been to MVD but not PdE.)

That might be an important point to a beach-goer.

9. Re: Beaches

Louisville, Kentucky
7 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Beaches

I am looking to spend a few days (probably 3 nights) in one of the Uruguay beach areas in Feb 2012. Am considering La Paloma, Punta del Diablo, or Jose Ignacio. Would appreciate any comments on differences/flavors of the 3 or any advice in general. Thanks