We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

Northern California
Level Contributor
152 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

After much research, six of us that are traveling to Argentina during the holidays are thinking of opting for Montevideo to spend possibly 4 nights, including New Years Eve. We wanted a beach included in our trip and Punta del Este and Mar del Plata just were WAY too crowded and WAY WAY too expensive.

We saw a review and photos of the hotel Cala di Volpe and thought that it looked nice and the beach across the street looked nice as well. It looks like a bay, not a full on ocean.

We don't need a fabulous beach, but we do want to be able to throw a towel down and relax.

We also thoguht about taking a day tripp to Punta del Este.

Another thought is to fly to Montevideo from BA and only stay 3 nights in Montevideo and then work our way to Colonia for a night and then back to BA in time to catch a flight to Iguazu.

What's your thoughts? Is the beach going to be enough of a beach experience? Are there other interesting things to do in that time frame in Montevideo? Are there any New Years Eve activities in the evening? We aren't wild types, just a nice dinner and maybe a few fireworks would be nice. Thanks for any help, suggestions, links, photos, etc.

Brasilia, DF
Level Contributor
636 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

you´ve got lot of options for beach experience with reasonable prices, hire a car go east and enjoy the ride!

New Jersey
Level Contributor
56 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

The Cala di Volpe hotel is across from the boardwalk but you'll need to walk 5- 10 minutes to the nearest beach area (Pocitos). The hotel is ok... The Sheraton is also in the area and there is a new one: Regency Golf.

Montevideo has many options during the summer and I strongly recommend you take at least a day tour to Punta del Este... It is something special!!!

You may also visit many other beach resorts on your way to Punta del Este: Atlantida, Solana, Portezuelo...

Definitely spend your time on the East rather than going to Colonia this time of the year...

punta del este...
Level Contributor
464 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

seeksocean:

Unless you take the fast boat direct to Montevideo, your ferry ticket will be via Colonia and the bus transfer included. Thus, you could easily do a day in Colonia coming or going to Montevideo.

You're right about the costs in Punta del Este, especially at that time, and given we're talking a little over 5 months, accomodation may not even be available.

The beaches in Montevideo are on the River Plate estuary and not open ocean, but ideal given your preference. The city has a rather good fireworks display on New Years -- dinner/show in the restaurant on the 25th floor of the Radisson Victoria Plaza hotel would be spectacular if you can wrangle it.

The Cala di Volpe hotel is in a good location and used by the Buquebus tour people: solid, reliable hotel but not in the Radisson league.

Which brings up a good point: since you'll be starting out in Buenos Aires you may wish to buy one of Buquebus' package deals for the group of six -- the company caters to Argentine tourists who are somewhat more cost-conscious. The all-inclusive packages (but no meals except breakfast) are great values even though we foreigners pay a little more than Argentine citizens. See their website www.buquebus.com under "turismo."

The day trip to Punta can easily be made by bus -- they leave about every 30 minutes, even at night, will take around 2 hours and cost $7-8US one-way.

The "Peninsula" area (downtown) and Brava/Mansa beaches are within walking distance of the depot; yellow-tan taxis also readily available but they are pricey.

4. Re: New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:04 pm, September 09, 2009
Paris
Level Contributor
443 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

Can't help to agree with BL25 - Punta del Este is special. Also, Montevideo is a nice city with beaches, but river beaches, which are not the same as the deep blue waters of Punta del Este.

Someone suggested that Punta del Este is luxury and Mar del Plata is the opposite. Quite correct, in my opinion. The reason why Punta del Este is special is because it's not crowded. Just look at how many people post on this forum! luckily, not many... the further away you get from Punta del Este's center (which is like a small and refined Miami) the less people you'll find, and the nicer the beaches get. A good place to rest, with a vibrant night scene as well.

6. Re: New Years Eve and Beach in Montevideo?...I Need Your Help!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 07, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Montevideo