We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1 day/night in Montevideo

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
126 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
1 day/night in Montevideo

Hi, I am a female solo traveller planing to spend a day in MVD on my way back from Punta del Este and going to B.A.

This is the plan:

a.m. arrive at Tres Cruces late morning and check in at Days Inn

p.m. walk to old town through centro, dinner at hotel

a.m. leave from Tres Cruces to B.A.

Questions:

Is it safe to walk from Tres Cruces to the Old town or should I do the hop on/hop off bus?

Instead of spending the night in MVD could I just take the overnight bus to B.A.? Would the wait at the bus station be safe?

Thank you.

5 replies to this topic
Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,575 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1 day/night in Montevideo

Definitely spend a night in Montevideo.

I would recommend taking the bus or an inexpensive taxi from Tres Cruces to the Old Town.

While you're in the Old Town, avoid walking through the side streets, which muggers seem to favor.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
126 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1 day/night in Montevideo

Thank you MonteCD but that leaves me basically a very short walk (15 '-20' perhaps) on the main thru street.

As Old Town and Centro is all I wanted to see at this point it is not worth staying overnight.

Is it safe to wait inside the terminal for the night bus at 22.30? Otherwise I'll do day travel. I never thought it would be that dangerous until I saw some youtube videos (from the actual security cameras in Old Town) showing all these muggings.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,575 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1 day/night in Montevideo

The walk from Tres Cruces to the Old Town during the day wouldn't be dangerous, but it's always wise to be aware of your surroundings at all times when you're in an unfamiliar city.

I think you would be shortchanging yourself if you didn't extend your stay to an overnight. Montevideo is a charming city that deserves more than a quick look.

The inside of the terminal is safe, so there's nothing to be concerned about there.

Philadelphia...
Destination Expert
for Rio de Janeiro
Level Contributor
25,575 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1 day/night in Montevideo

Be sure to visit Plaza Fabini in Centro, which is sometimes referred to as the Plaza del Entrevero. The plaza is noted for its impromptu open-air tango dancing and singing.

Panorama of Plaza Fabini:

http://bit.ly/o2ro4g

Video—Tango in Plaza Fabini:

http://bit.ly/2xFTlkj

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
126 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1 day/night in Montevideo

Thank you. I'll think it over.

Reply to: 1 day/night in Montevideo