We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

Hi there,

I, too, am getting geared up for an 18 day trip to Peru this July. I am travelling with my husband and we have been looking forward to this trip for some time...with closer planning i am realizing it is much more pricey than expected-- we were thinking of considering alternatives because of the cost. Any tips to shave the budget?

We are planning JFK-LIMA, then separate one way to CUZ, the 4 day Inca trail hike with SAS or PeruTreks, would like to stay at KR in Urubamba for 3 nights, as our splurge, and then were thinking of Arequipa-Colca up the coast, bussing it to Huacachira on beach then bus to Lima. Any suggestions for ways to shave budget?

Any "nicer" but budget options for hotels?

Also, what is the overland transportation situation from SV/CUZ to

Arequipa, do we have to go thru Puno on train? How about to Lima?

Thanks for all the suggestions, I have been enjoying reading everyone's sharing on these Peru forums.

HAPPY DAY!

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

I would skip Huacachina and do the Nazca lines instead.

You can bus to Lima from Arequipa and stop for a few hrs in Nazca to fly over the lines, or overnight at a cheap small hotel.

The transp from Cuz to SV by taxi is only around $25, or if you want to go by the local bus you can do it for $1.

You can also bus from CUZ to Arequipa without going to Puno.

The cost of the KR I do not see it as an expensive part of the trip. You will be staying at a very nice place were you can do yr own cooking if you want to save some money, but do not miss a lunch at the Huacatay or 3 Keros, they are excellent restaurants.

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

Thank you for your advice!

I will take you up on it...

We thought Huacachina would be a nice small beach town to relax and the sandboarding sounding cool...??

We had been thinking about Nazca too.

What about las Islas Ballestas?

Please advise! :)

Thanks and happy Friday.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
703 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

We didn't take the combi buses (like from Cusco to SV) but they are super cheap and crowded with locals. Taxis around Cusco are also very cheap (3 soles from main Plaza up to San Blas). You can eat very inexpensively, and everything is delicious. The KR is great and yes you probably could stay cheaper in Urubamba but we loved this place and highly recommend it. The website www.andeantravelweb.com has reviews of all different types of hotels from budget to splurge and you may find something there.

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

Thank you for the transportation advice! I appreciate it!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
165 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

dude, taxis in cuzco are the cheapest in the world. like from downtown cusco to the airport was less than $2. no kidding. huacachina is no big deal, you better want to go to nazca lines and islas ballestas? good place have a good time there. you wont regret. huacachina is ok but if you want to save money go to nazca, youre money will be worthed. i went to cuzco last july and the hotel prices were $35 a night. expensive because too many tourists and it was during peru's independence day , so everything is expensive. stay in cusco at least 3 days, take a tour to urubamba, macchupichu and city tour. puno is cool, but puerto maldonado is jungle, so you get to know peru's jungle. pretty cool. in lima hotels are cheap(online they look expensive) talk to the locals and youll find great prices for good hotels. i suggest do not book online. but its your choice. after cusco, food everywhere is cheaper. a plate of food in cusco is about $10 in a good restaurant, and as low as $4 maybe. have a good time in peru. people in peru are very friendly, but be cautious with a few.

edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

Hi, I personally enjoyed huacachina much more than the Nazca lines, however it may make sense considering your itinerary as pointed out. i've spent 8 months in urubamba it is really beautiful and so so easy to enjoy on a budget. i really wouldn't worry too much about money because there are always places you can stay, go and eat that are cheap and enjoyable. while i was there i was able to live off as little as $2 when need be. If you are staying in Urubamba there is no point doing a sacred valley tour. you will experience as much of urubamba as they show you by wandering the town and market and it is 2.50 soles (i think) to pisac, and only 2 or 1 sole to ollantaytambo. i definatly found that the sacred valley to be somewhere where cost does not always correspond with quality. My FAVOURITE meal in cusco was at kukooly resturant which has a consistently excellent 3 course menu for 4 soles. 'la casa de la abuela' in urubamba is also really good and the same price. As mentioned in previous comments, public transport is a great way to spend less. Remember all taxis in cusco are 2 soles and all motos in urubamba are 1 soles, just incase the dollar signs increase when the gringos arrive!

i hope you have an excellent time in Peru. i think it is a truly exceptional place. In many cases such as food, transport etc, the less you pay the closer you get to the locals. i think that's a fairly optimistic budget approach to travel!

New York
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

Lasarita,

Thank you for the recs, and understanding of the budget. Were you volunteering there at the orphanage? That is amazing you got to spend 8 months there! Can you reccomend another place to stay there for less $? I had my heart set on the Kuyuchi Rumi but it is $100 for the two of us not including breakfast, Im sure it is totally worth it but if you know of any others I would appreciate it. I am torn because i can stay in Cusco much cheaper so I am thinking 3 nights Cusco 2 nights Urubamba as that would be such a splurge but I love the country and i would rather stay more time in the valley.

Any thoughts?

Also, I cant wait to check out the restaurants you mention.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,592 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

manifestangel:

Huacachina is no beach town. Its a quite small town around a lagoon with green water. The sandboarding is nice though, but nothing much else to do.

Islas Ballestas has a lot of wild life and you can visit while doing yr tour to the Nazca lines, its on the same area.

I know you can find cheap restaurants all over Peru, but I think you will be risking yr health and you can get quite sick and end a lovely trip.

On the other hand, food in Peru is fantastic and its worth spending in good restaurants at a third of the cost for similar in the USA.

edinburgh
8 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

I'm glad you are going to check out the resturants, they are definatly worth it! As the comment mentions above, seeing as you only have 18 days it would be a shame to get ill all because you wanted to save a few dollars, however the resturants i mentioned are safe. i have eaten in them both regularly and always left satisfied!

i was volunteering in a day care centre for the first 5 months, and then with street kids in cusco for the last 3 months.When i was in Urubamba i was staying with a local family who wouldn't accept any money for my board and food so that definatly kept down my living cost! I i did look into places for my sister to stay when she came so i know a few. i would recommend the hostal attached to 'la esquina' resturant in the plaza(the resturant is another one worth going to and good value!). It is owned by a very nice family who rent out rooms for $2.50 a night. However, 'la esquina' is pretty basic and in a different ball game to the luxury of Kuyuchi Rumi. Despite this, if you stay there you do get to stay in a family enviroment, save money and know that what you do spend goes towards them. The family also own a charity for abused women in the area and are a pretty interesting bunch to get to know! Even cheaper is the hostal 2 blocks up from el grifo which is owned by a good friend of mine and is only $1 a night, but it is even more basic.

i really enjoy more basic places like these, but i know others find the choice of hotel can make or break their stay, in which case forking out the extra money for a nice one is worth it.

I can see the appeal of staying in Cusco inorder to save some cash. The andes that tower over cusco will remind you that you are never far from the country and you can be out the city and in thr rural countrysdie within 30minutes! So if money is tight that seems like a good compromise. However, if i'm honest, for me there would be no competiton...beautiful urubamba every time!

if you have any more questions just post them up. i am very jealous of your trip!

have a good time

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
519 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Budget Travel Tips for PERU?

Depends on your idea of budget...

Casa Andina has a chain of hotels, you can get a double room for about $80 USD....looks like they have a couple discounts though.

You can find places cheaper than that...probably closer to $50 USD. If you really want to do a budget thing, you can check to see if you can get a private room in a hostel....you won't have your own bathroom though.