We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus tickets to Machu Picchu?

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Bus tickets to Machu Picchu?

Hi

I am staying at the Sanctuary Lodge on the 12th October independently booked by my husband and myself. We actually are travelling on the Hiram Bingham train with Scenic tours to Macchu Picchu so have paid for the train. bus tickets and entry to the Citadel on the 12th. However instead of returning to Aguas Calientes for accomodation with the rest of the tour particpants on the 12th we have booked to stay at the Sanctuary Lodge overnight to experience the sunset and the sunrise on the 13th.

We are having trouble explaining this to our hotel. We wish to purchase bus tickets for one way only down to Aguas Calientes on the 13th October and tickets into the Citadel on the 13th as well.

Can someone tell me can I purchase tickets at the top for the bus ride down to Aguas Calientes and if so where do I purchase them, on the bus or is there a ticket booth at the top?

How much is one way ride on the bus down to Aguas Calientes?

As for the tickets to the Citadel I believe I can purchase them over the internet so I will give this a try hopefully I will be able to deal with the language problem a few of the other TP friends have experienced.

Thanks for any help, Sue.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
15,027 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bus tickets to Machu Picchu?

There's a ticket booth at the top where you can get a ticket down. They won't leave you stranded up there. :-) I don't remember for sure but think a one way ticket was at most $10. The booth is right where you get on the bus, like maybe 5 meters away. You have to buy tickets before you get on. They won't let you on without it and if you don't have one, they'll point you to the ticket booth if you somehow miss it.

If you have trouble purchasing the MP ticket online, I guarantee you the Sanctuary will buy them for you and have them waiting for you to pick up.

Just be aware you don't really see a sunset or sunrise with the different colors you might be expecting like when you are on a beach and can see the horizon. It's in the mountains so the sun goes out of view behind the mountain well before it actually sets. Same thing in the morning. It's well above the horizon before it is actually shining on MP. We were there for sunrise on a perfect day and it was kind of interesting but honestly not that spectacular.

Ica, Peru
Level Contributor
921 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bus tickets to Machu Picchu?

Machu Picchu is actually best when there are some clouds and fog, cuz then it looks mysterious :) That is the best conditions to see Machu Picchu under

Sydney
Level Contributor
86 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bus tickets to Machu Picchu?

Thankyou both for your advice. Could I just ask both of you as well. I have been looking at tickets for Machu Picchu and noted that even though they are valid for 3 days after purchase they can only be used for 1 entry. I am staying at the Sanctuary Lodge with the sole purpose in mind on the first day of my ticket use to have a tour in the morning of MP but I was hoping I could go to the Sanctuary Lodge have lunch then return in the afternoon when the crowds have departed for a more relaxing soul satisfying visit. Can I get a pass out and re-enter on the same day? Excuse me if you see this post elsewhere because I will post a separate question under "Macuh Picchu tickets can they be re-used? Thanks for any knowledge you may have on this post.

Sue

4. Re: Bus tickets to Machu Picchu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, June 28, 2014