We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Machu Picchu

Coronado, California
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Machu Picchu

A group of us are working at church in Lima and then hoping to go to Machu Picchu. There are several that are in 70-75 yrs range. Is it too difficult? Beside the high alt. the walking around the ruins.

Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Lima
Lima
Lima Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,660 posts
516 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Machu Picchu

Many travellers in their 70s and 80s not only visit MP, some even do the Inca Trail.

If you want specialized treatment try apumayo.com/cuscoperu-en/08-disabled_people.…

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
150 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Machu Picchu

Be sure to schedule an extra down day in Cuzco or the Sacred Valley when you first arrive, as that will allow your group to acclimatize before heading off to hike around Machu Picchu (which is actually a lower altitude, but can still be a shock if coming from sea level).

There are a lot of steps at the ruins, but if they have average fitness for their age they should be completely fine.

Mentioned in this post
Sacred Valley
Sacred Valley
Cusco Region, Peru
Machu Picchu
Machu Picchu
Sacred Valley, Peru
Folsom, Ca
Level Contributor
45 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Machu Picchu

Just got back from MP and saw many in their 70s walking in MP. The first part of the hike is the hardest. I would estimate a elevation gain of maybe 300 ft, 100m. This is done over many switchbacks with part of the trail like a ramp and other parts like steps. Just take your time and rest. My wife and I are in our 60s and we made it up in 20 minutes the first day and it felt even quicker the second. Once you make it up the intial climb you are at an overlook with the iconic view of MP and everything from there on is downhill

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Machu Picchu

I did see a lot of older people with walking sticks so you may consider bringing those if steps are a problem.

5. Re: Machu Picchu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, June 19, 2013