We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a car in Cuzco

Which Urubamba hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Renting a car in Cuzco

I'd like to stay a night in the Sacred Valley and visit the various ruins on the way from Cuzco to my hotel in Urubamba. The more I look at the transportation options, I'm leaning towards renting a car and driving myself so I can stop where I'd like and visit the ruins/sites at my leisure. - Would it be totally crazy for someone from the US to attempt driving from Cuzco into the Sacred Valley? (I am travelling alone)

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

Yes, you would have to be crazy !

You are much better off renting a taxi. Its cheap and they do know were to stop and for how long.

If in Urubamba you are staying at the KR, Claudia will happily do this arrangement for you at no extra cost and with a good driver.

Illinois
Level Contributor
128 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into hiring a driver.

lima Peru
Level Contributor
52 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

hi , there isn´t an easy answer all depends

of you if you believe you can get driving to ruins just do it.I was is Rio de Janeiro the last year with a friend 22 years bouth we rend a car a have a wonderful day around Rio.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

Yes aremisa, but Rio is in Brasil and Cusco is in Peru !!!

5. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:25 am, March 09, 2006
Hollywood, FL
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

you are not creazy at all.

you can rent a car in Cusco and drive down to the Sacred Valley, it is complely safe and you will most definitely enjoyed it. you will be able to stop where you want for the time you want. the main sites in the valley are very easy to find. There is quite a few decent rental companies in Cusco

renting a taxi for the day is also a possibility but be aware that taxi drivers are usually not very good driver and they love to speed. if you choose to rent a taxi, you should get the hotel where you stay to recomend you one.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,289 posts
501 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

I am quoting the Australian Government comment on driving in Peru :

"Driving in Peru can be hazardous due to poorly maintained roads and vehicles, local driving practices, and inadequate road lighting. Traffic accidents are common."

Here is another opinion published on the web about driving in Peru :

My father paid $33 for 6.7 gallons of gas, roughly $4.90/gallon.

Driving here is worse than Rome, which is worse than Boston, which is worse than New York. About 5% of the vehicles here don't use their lights at night. Lanes and lights are suggestions. There are three methods of letting people know they are about to hit you: flashing your lights, creating sound (horn or other variet of squeals, yelps, twirly noises), and swerving in their direction.

This is published by the British Embassy about driving in Peru :

"Driving standards in Peru (particularly in Lima) are poor, with stop signs and traffic lights frequently ignored. Drivers overtake on either side, with little concern for pedestrians or oncoming traffic. Crashes resulting in death and injury take place almost every day."

So, arrive to yr own conclusions, I was just expressing my opinion.

NY
Level Contributor
1,365 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

If any of you have also been to Costa Rica - would you say driving in Peru is about the same or much worse than driving in Costa Rica?

San Francisco
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

I think driving in Costa Rica is much better than in Peru

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
377 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Renting a car in Cuzco

Travell 1000: I have to agree, we have driven in Costa Rica, but would never consider driving in Peru. With a private driver, they will stop whenever you want, we were never rushed, and we learned so much more than we would have on our own.