We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ollantaytambo as a base

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ollantaytambo as a base

It doesn't sound like there is much basic shopping to be had in the town. Will we be able to do any grocery shopping to assemble our own picnic lunches or maybe buy a cheap cooler to keep some basics in our hotel room? Where do the locals shop and eat? How about makings for a cocktail on our own veranda?

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

I hope you did not do both things at the same time...mlgb!!! : )

For me I prefer Urubamba for a base, but each one their own choice

Cape Town
Level Contributor
408 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

Ollantaytambo is a great little place. Lots of local restaurants, corner stores, colourful local characters and walking distance from some pretty impressive ruins. In fact, everything is walking distance from everywhere. We enjoyed staying there and also ate local food, which was very cheap and very delicious.

London
Level Contributor
2,264 posts
262 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

Mlgb - $3 for a haircut!!! You were robbed! I only paid $1. In fact I paid more for the ceviche..

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

crellston I have more hair than you do ;)

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

One advantage of being almost bald, all I need is a pair of clippers and I can do it myself, have to admit though, even at $3 that is cheap.

As for the ceviche, I prefer mine from the ocean, especially considering some of the trout they use here comes out of the river, which is not the cleanest.

Suffield...
6 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

What about Cusco as a base when visiting MP and Sacred Valley? Can you stay overnight in Agunas Calientes? Are there hostels and restaurants there?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,558 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

You can use Cusco as a base but it's 3+ hours from Machu Picchu by taxi, train, and bus.

Agua Calientes has lots of places to stay and eat. Lots if tourists stay there when visiting MP.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,082 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

But Aguas Calientes is a bit more expensive.

19. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, April 28, 2015