We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ollantaytambo as a base

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Ollantaytambo as a base

It doesn't sound like there is much basic shopping to be had in the town. Will we be able to do any grocery shopping to assemble our own picnic lunches or maybe buy a cheap cooler to keep some basics in our hotel room? Where do the locals shop and eat? How about makings for a cocktail on our own veranda?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,883 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

You might be better off staying in Urubamba...its still quite close to Ollantaytambo.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

There are a few corner convenience stores and a number of restaurants, as well as the traditional market. You will not find a supermarket in the small towns like Ollantaytambo.

Most lodgings include breakfast, you can buy fruit in the traditional markets. Food is not expensive if you stay away from the tourist restaturants.

Edited: 8:09 pm, January 29, 2014
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
4,912 posts
317 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

As a base for visiting the Sacred Valley, I also rather recommend Urubamba, which is a Peruvian (not a tourist) town and is central (in particular for public transport).

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,086 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

Considering Urubamba is where most of the 4 & 5 star resorts are located, I really have a hard time saying that it is not touristy, and if you get a chance to spend any time in a real small local town, you will probably say the same thing.

Staying in Ollantaytambo should be fine, and as mlgb said, there are small markets, as well as a local market so food items for pick nick lunches are no problem.

pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

Thanks all. I am booked to stay at the Apu Lodge in Olly as it does sound quite nice with lots of hikes around the village and a local market is all we need. We were always used to renting a small house on our travels but as this didn't really seem to be an option near MP I'm not going to worry about being as self-sufficient as usual. Supporting the local eateries is a good thing.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
31 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

My partner and I are traveling to the Sacred Valley in September and have decided to make Ollantaytambo as our base for four days. We reserved a room at El Alberque, located right at the train station. We plan on accessing local/regional hiking opportunities, exploring Inca ruins (of course), and being able to jump right on a Peru Rail train to Macchu Picchu. From what I understand, the food at El Alberque is excellent. Since making our reservation, the manager at El Alberque has been communicating via email offering assistance in travel arrangements between Cuzco and Ollantaytambo and readiness to answer any questions we might have in advance of our trip.

Urubamba also seemed like a reasonable place to "call home." I have a ton of Starwood frequent stay points and could have used some of them at the Tambo del Inka Resort; but, that property just seemed way "over the top" for what we wanted on this trip. I would agree that Urubamba sounds more touristy.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

Ollantaytambo is pretty touristy, too. The main difference is it's a small mountain town. The setting and town are beautiful but it's small. There's fewer restaurants and hotels. But it's got a major ruin right in the middle and all the bus tours go there so will have lots of tourists and lots of stands selling tourist stuff. Urubamba is in a wider part of the valley and it's bigger, more of a small city so is less picturesque. I don't think it's a destination the way Ollantaytambo is but it does have a lot of bigger, fancy, expensive hotels and restaurants.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,170 posts
473 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

The less touristy of the 3 places is Urubamba as it does not have Inca sites to visit, it just the Capital town of the province and it houses , for this main reason the best hotels and restaurants in the area. Its also centrally located in the Sacred Valley.

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

I will probably be mocked for saying this but the last time I was in Ollantaytambo I ate the trout ceviche at a kiosk on the road to the train station, as well as getting a $3 haircut!

And no, I didn't get sick.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
31 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ollantaytambo as a base

Sounds adventurous to me!