We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Guide for the Sacred Valley

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Martinsburg, WV
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Guide for the Sacred Valley

We are arriving in Cusco on Monday April 1 and are looking for a guide to take us to Ollantaytambo with a possible stop along the way. We would also like to have that person for a day tour on the 2nd of the Sacred Valley. We will then go to MP for a couple of days with a return to Ollantaytambo on the 4th. We would like a return to Cusco with a day tour on the 5th. We will then fly out on the 6th. We were going to do the tours with just a driver but feel a little concerned now about safety and think that we would feel more secure with an English speaking guide. Does anyone know of a guide located in Ollantaytambo or Cusco?

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

I would contact the hotel you will be staying at, they should be able to recommend and arrange the tours and transportation for you.

jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

Hello

I´m currently in Cusco, and the best advice i can give you is to take a Sacred valley tour. They only cost from 25 soles depending on where you buy (bargain!!), and will pick you up from your hotel, take you to PISAC, URUBAMBA, OLLANTAYTAMBO, CHINCHERO, and back. A guide is included for the most part, and if not at the ruins, get one there. Note that you´ll need to get the tourist ticket from avenida del sol beforehand, and it´s 70 soles for partial ticket to 130 soles for all (rip off price, i know!)

I went alone to Pisac yesterday, and the Taxi charged me a rip off 20 SOLES to take me to the top of the ruins. I was more annoyed to later learn i could have toured all sacred valley highlights for 25 soles with the company of others!

Edited: 10:06 am, February 26, 2013
jersey
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

Don´t overworry about safety concerns, worry about having money stolen more than anything, or paying too much, Cusco is touristic like lourdes-i´m not kidding you, really!

BTW there are city tours that cost 15 soles (2-6PM), that take you to the city ruins(SACHSAYHUAMAN, ETC..) and koricancha, again with guide.

Martinsburg, WV
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

Thank you all for your help! We have already made reservations in Ollantaytambo for the 1st and 2nd. We read so much about how it helped with the altitude sickness to stay there first. Wish I had known about your place Lyle...I would have stayed with you!! We would (or at least I would- My husband is not worried!) feel better if we have a driver and guide. Also, should we look at having a guide the first day at MP? Thanks again for the help and information!

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
195 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

We used David Ramos with David expeditions. He was fantastic! Very knowledgable and used him for two days in the sacred valley.

Cusco, Peru
Level Contributor
4,124 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

If you decide you would like a guide, you can easily hire one at the entrance to MP, there are usually several to choose from.

7. Re: Guide for the Sacred Valley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 01, 2014