We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation to Ollantaytambo

Which Ollantaytambo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Beaumont, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
transportation to Ollantaytambo

What is the best ways to get from the Cusco airport to Ollantaytambo and return from MP to Cusco?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
171 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g294314-i3023-k5…

Chelmsford, United...
Level Contributor
163 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

If cost isn't an issue then organise a transfer before you arrive, taxis aren't guaranteed to want to make the trip.

If cost is an issue then a taxi from the airport will be cheaper than an organised transfer but as mentioned isn't a definite that you'll find someone willing.

If I were to do it, I'd take a taxi to Pavitos and from there take one of the Diamante Express minibuses to Ollantaytambo - it's by far the cheapest option and not that much hassle if you've got your head about you.

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

We asked our lodge to arrange transport. Driver had sign waiting for us at airport - which I would recommend. After 21 hours of travel for us to get there, and the altitude adjustment of Cusco, I was glad we didn't have to worry. Along the way, the driver stopped for us at some beautiful spots for pictures. Cost only S./100 (approximately $40US). Darn good price considering it is an hour and a half drive to get there. Also took taxi arranged by hotel on return to Cusco. If you want, they will take you to Piscac market first, and hang around until you are finished shopping, visiting ruins, whatever (I think it was around S/.220 for market and ruins, then onward to Cusco - approximately $90US) This is like having a full day of touring and sightseeing. One hint though - when climbing into a taxi in the Sacred Valley, check that there are seatbelts in the backseat. Some pretty crazy driving!

Martinsburg, WV
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

Could you tell me which hotel you stayed in and made arrangments for transportation please. We are trying to make our pans for a trip in April. also, did you get your tickets for MP through your hotel?

Thanks!

Beaumont, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

We got lucky. Found a tremendous help with PeruTourism. We made our own itinerary, flights, and picked the hotels we wanted. Peru Tourism 1. had a driver and SUV waiting for us at Cusco airport to take us to Ollantaytambo (we wanted to start there a get acclimated as is is 2000 feet lower than Cusco). Perutourism book our desired hotels, drivers, train tickets to Agua Caliente, entry tickets for 2 days to MP, hotel in Agua and Cusco. Train back to Cusco with driver waiting to take us to the hotel; guide waiting the next morning in Cusco for the day. We figured the cost to be a very small amount over what we would have had to do on our own and and saved us the agony of booking all of these different segments. Had an issue with luggage: called them in Lima and they had their driver come out to Olly and picked up the luggage and had it waiting for us in Cusco. We stayed at Hotel Pakaritampu in Olly, El Mapi in Agua Caliente (that included a nice dinner).

Martinsburg, WV
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

Thank you for the help! I appreciate it!

Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

Hello -

We stayed at Apu Lodge in Ollantaytambo (highly recommend), and they arranged the driver to meet us at the airport, upon our request. On our last night in Ollantaytambo, we stayed at El Albergue (also highly recommended - more expensive, but SO lovely) and the hotel staff went on the street and found a good driver for us and arranged the costs for our return to Cusco. Apu Lodge was also willing to book us the Machu Picchu tickets, but we had already arranged it from Canada through a travel agency in Peru. Most places would be able to get a driver/taxi for you to meet you at the airport. Hope you have a great vacation in April. We will certainly go back again - loved every moment spent in Peru!!

Beaumont, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

If you are interested at all in using PeruTourism (goes by a few other names and uses Condor Travel for their ground transportation and guides) I recommend writing them at: viviana@pentagrama-travel.com. Viviana Santillan was the best travel agent and most responsive that I have ever encountered and I've been doing this a long time. They have a toll free number and she speaks English better than I do. She will gladly send you info to help you guide your trip even if you don't use her. Mention my name and give me a few gravy points for my next trip south!! Lou N

Martinsburg, WV
Level Contributor
47 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

Hi and thanks for the info! We are looking at the El Albergue and they can arrange transportation for $65 each way and tickets for MP for $67. If we want to make stops on the way it woulld be $95. Are those good rates? Seems like it might be a little higher but I know that with the bridge out, the trip is longer. We also want a driver for one day to see the other sights in the Sacred Valley. What woul be a good rate for a day with a driver?

Thanks!!

Montreal, Canada
3 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: transportation to Ollantaytambo

your sujustion is very good, from the airport to the ollantaytombo, now i do need to know from the ollantaytombo to agaus calientes, there are mini bus going there too?