We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

Toronto, Canada
13 posts
Save Topic
Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

We will be flying from Lima to Cusco in the morning and going straight to Ollantaytambo. Is there a public bus that you can pick up at the airport?

We are not in a rush and are planning to spend a month in Peru so we are trying to keep our costs down. We actually find when travelling to various countries, we like taking the local transit as it adds to the adventure -- we've had our share of chickens and other animals on buses. We travel fairly light with just our backpacks.

Just as an aside, our preferred way of visiting countries usually includes staying in non-party hostels or guest houses (try avoiding dorm rooms if possible - we're a 50ish couple so like to get our rest after an active day) and local transit but at the same time, we make sure we spend our money on things that we really want to do such as the 4-day Machu Picchu hike (already booked), fly over the Nazca lines, train ride to Huancayo, eat at Astrid y Gaston to name a few.

Thanks in advance and I'm sure I'll have more questions as we start firming up what we're planning to do.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

Would recommend taking a taxi from the airport to a "van station" maybe not a station and probably a corner, where you can go to Ollantaytambo.

I am almost sure that there are no buses from Cusco Airport to Ollanta, you could only take a taxi from the airport to Ollanta.

I found this information on the web:

There are also comfortable mini-vans which run between Cusco and Ollanta (via Urubamba) for 10 Soles for the 1 1/2 hour trip. They run all day, leaving when full. In Cusco, catch the vans on Calle Pavitos, which is between Belen and Av Grau, 3 blocks West of Av El Sol

Hope this helps you!

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

And I found another alternative:

By Bus

Though rumors abound of buses running directly between Cusco and Ollantaytambo, the easiest thing to do is to catch a bus from Cusco to Urubamba from one of two Cusco stations that service Urubamba, and then to change buses.

Buses from the terminal on Avenida Grau run via Chinchero (1.5 hours), while those from the terminal on Avenida Tullumayo take the Písac route (2 hours). Fares to Urubamba are $1.50.

Once at the Urubamba bus terminal, there’s no shortage of colectivos running to Ollantaytambo or any question about where to find them. Colectivo operators bound for Ollantaytambo greet passengers from Cusco the moment they step off the bus and usher them into a waiting mini-van.

From Urubamba, the ride into Ollantaytambo takes about 30 minutes in a colectivo ($0.50). Those travelers with deeper pockets may want to take a taxi, which makes the trip slightly quicker for about $4.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
2,755 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

A taxi from Cusco to Ollantaytambo will cost about $35 - $40 if your hotel arranges the pick-up. However, if you do not wish to pay this, FlacoG mentioned some alternatives. Actually, I wish I were aware of these alternatives beforehand since I was traveling alone and paid $40 for a taxi to Ollanta. However, while in Ollanta, I took the collectivo to Urabamba, and from there a local bus to Cusco. I believe it was less than $2.00 at the most. I was quite an adventure traveling with the locals, and they didn't seem to mind tourists on their buses and collectivos. Of course I was respectful by not taking pictures on these vehicles although I really wanted to:-). If you have luggage, there is someone on the bus or collectivo that will place it securely on top of the vehicle. The locals often have large items such as produce, etc to sell on Market days so these also go on top of the vehicles. Best of luck with your decision.

Toronto, Canada
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

Thanks all for the replies. I didn't realize that the airport was so close to the city. I thought it would be 45-60 minutes away. I'll catch the bus from cusco via urambamba. I believe there's bus transport to cusco just outside the airport.

Lima, Peru
Level Contributor
3,908 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

Yes there are buses close to the airport, I took once one from the city to the airport,, if you are not travelling with too much luggage and you want to do your travelling in this way that would be fine, the thing would be to know where to stop to catch the bus to Urubamba.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,530 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

Its better and safer to take a taxi from the airport to the bus station, its also quite cheap (around 5 to 8 soles).

The city buses are not easy to understand their route and you could end up on the wrong side of the city.

7. Re: Public Transport from Cusco Airport to Ollantaytambo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 08, 2012