We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

marshall WI
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

Hi. My husband and I are traveling to Peru from Dec 22 to Jan 3. We are staying in Cusco the 23rd and 24th then hiking to Machu Picchu from the 25th until the 31st. We are planning on taking it easy and enjoying Cusco for the two days prior to our trek to acclimatize but then we will have 3 days after our trek to enjoy other areas. We would need to be back in cusco to fly out at 7am on the 3rd, but otherwise I would like to explore a little bit.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jeanne

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
4,337 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

Sacred valley?

Kamloops, Canada
Level Contributor
3,885 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

It depends on what you are into but theres enough to see and do in the Sacred Valley to keep you busy for a couple of days at least. The town of Ollantaytambo itself is a must-see in my opinion as well as the fortress. Maras and Moray and located between Cusco and Urubmaba and easily visited as you travel between the two towns. Pisac has ruins high above the town as well as a large market that has become quite popular especially on Sundays. If you are in Pisac on Sunday you can also see the mayor leading a procession through town after church. Chinchero also has a market which is supposedly not as "touristy" as Pisac. You could always head to the "Southern Valley" and check out Piquillacta, Tipon, and the church of Andahualillas. With only a couple days in Cusco and you still adjusting to the altitude you may find that you want some more time there as well.

marshall WI
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

Yes, the Sacred Valley would be the only area we would like to explore.

Ok, I'm thinking that since we will arrive in Ollantaytabo at around 6pm on Saturday, Dec 31st, after our Machu Picchu trek, that we should stay there at least for the one night. I would love to go to Pisac and see the market the next day. Is the market all day long?

I don't like to bounce from hotel to hotel, but should we check out of our Ollantaytabo hotel on Sunday the 1st, go to Pisac for the market, then stay overnight in Pisac for one night and then fly out of Cusco on the 3rd?

OR should we stay in Ollantaytabo for two nights and travel back and forth from Ollantaytabo and Pisac on Sunday? Then go to Cusco and stay the last night to fly out on the 3rd?

Would love your advice again!

jeanne

encinitas,calif.
Level Contributor
955 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

coming to cusco in november. we have a few days to explore areas near cusco. i like the itinerary you discussed but would you say this exploring of the area is something to do in a 2 day trip? i also want to spent time in the sunday market? do i need a tour guide for much of this or just bus and taxis?

california
Level Contributor
11,773 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

You can see the Ollantaytambo ruins in a few hours. Then if you go by taxi back to Cusco you can see Moray and the Salineras on the way, any hotel should be able to arrange this with a driver for you. I found it easier to arrange a separate trip to Pisac from Cusco. I took the bus for fun (and a taxi from town to the top of the ruins and walked DOWN much easier). Or a return taxi to Pisac with waiting (from Cusco) should run around $50 for a half day. The market starts in the morning but I think by afternoon the best will be over.

The only area that in my opinion benefits from a tour guide is the Ollantaytambo ruins (and you can usually find them onsite). Everything else a taxi or bus was fine for me.

If you can work into your schedule to visit the Chinchero and Pisac markets on a Sunday I would try to do that especially if you like to take photographs. If not, then Pisac probably has a better combination of ruins and market.

cusco
Level Contributor
568 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

You can hire a private taxi and see the Pisac market ruins, see Olly in the morning if you are staying there then Chinchero which has an authentic market.

Please bear in mind that the sacred valley tour only includes Pisac, Olly and Chinchero.

Lima, Peru
Destination Expert
for Cusco, Lima, Arequipa, Peru
Level Contributor
18,502 posts
509 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

Check this forum to choose a hotel in the Sacred Valley.The offer is varied and for all budgets.

You can also visit Tipon and Andahuaylillas

8. Re: What to do with 3 days after Machu Picchu?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 20, 2012